1919 A4 Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4,565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I sold some stuff last month and like I usually do I bought some reloading components, I can usually find 110 grain 30 carbine bullets for about 18 cents for pull down, but no one had any some instead I bought some plated bullets from Hi-tech ammo,I've used Berry's before and found them to be acceptable so I figured I would give these a try,they were only 11 cent a piece, so this week when I ran out of the FMJ I was using I just started on the plated rounds,I reloaded about 50 rounds, today I was able to get to the range,I wanted to see how they would group compared to the FMJ, they wouldn't chamber,I had to bang on the bolt to get them out! So I brought them home and checked all the specs,everything was well within SAAMI specs, so I seated them deeper and the bolt would close with a light push,not good enough, so I seated them deeper still, about half of them would chamber now and they grouped really well, but 1/2 isn't good enough either, I checked all the brass and all were under the max so I have to assume the problem is with the projectile, but I can't figure out what is wrong!
Has anyone else tried these bullets? Did you have this problem?
I'm going to call them monday and see what they want to do. Now I have to knock down all those loaded rounds!

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
.30 carbine case gauge

Before running out and buying a .30 carbine gauge read the product description. .30 carbine differs from the normal case gauge in that it is only good for the case itself.
Check the diameter of the projectiles before loading them into the case. If oversized they could be expanding the mouth of your case causing your failures to chamber. I would also try chambering some of your sized brass, then seat bullets minus powder and primers. If the cases are expanding when the bullets are seated then it would seem the bullets are the issue.

·
Registered
4,565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
cabine

I have case gauges for most of my rounds,but never bothered with the carbine because they don't check loaded cases! I measure the empty brass,I measure the projectiles,I measure the loaded rounds and everything is within SAAMI specs, after posting I went out and set a FMJ and plated projectiles on the desk top,I found a piece of square stock and drew a line across both bullets about half way down, the plated rounds are much "fatter?", they get larger much faster then the FMJ, I think this is the problem,I'm going to change over to blue dot powder and try to seat them down deeper in the case and see if this takes care of the problem,right now I have the OAL at 1.625,which is the minimum, and with the powder I'm using now I don't dare go any further, I'm using 14 grains of Lil gun and it fills the case pretty well, blue dot only needs 7!

·
Registered
4,565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
carbine problems

I emptied some of the cases and loaded them with blue dot and seated the bullets down to 1.610 and they chamber perfectly, and since blue dot only half fills the case I can't imagine having any pressure problems, I'll try to get out to the range and see.
Does anyone know if you can compress Lil gun powder? I have tried looking on line but can't seem to find anything,I really don't want to have to break down all those rounds I already have loaded!

·
Registered
512 Posts
I am no expert on reloading!!! But, With a 110 gr bullet I don't have any reloading guides that show MOL under 1.680. Sounds to me like the bullets are oversize or the case's have thick walls.

Steve

·
Registered
2,175 Posts
I have case gauges for most of my rounds,but never bothered with the carbine because they don't check loaded cases! I measure the empty brass,I measure the projectiles,I measure the loaded rounds and everything is within SAAMI specs, after posting I went out and set a FMJ and plated projectiles on the desk top,I found a piece of square stock and drew a line across both bullets about half way down, the plated rounds are much "fatter?", they get larger much faster then the FMJ, I think this is the problem,I'm going to change over to blue dot powder and try to seat them down deeper in the case and see if this takes care of the problem,right now I have the OAL at 1.625,which is the minimum, and with the powder I'm using now I don't dare go any further, I'm using 14 grains of Lil gun and it fills the case pretty well, blue dot only needs 7!
Sorry about that, was in a hurry and didn't read the description. What I had in mind was a loaded case gauge.

·
Registered
4,565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
carbine problems

From what I have been able to read online no one makes a loaded case gauge for the 30 carbine!
The shorter rounds chambered fine but they wouldn't cycle,I'll have to double check my settings and see what I did wrong, 7 grains isn't very much powder.

·
Registered
2,175 Posts
From what I have been able to read online no one makes a loaded case gauge for the 30 carbine!
Noticed that last night myself, spent some time searching for a loaded case gauge and didn't find one. I use those regularly with pistol rounds in various calibers that I intend to shoot in matches.

Guess a set of calipers are in order.

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
Possibly the shape of the bullet is the culprit. If they are "fatter" at the forward end, then the seater which indexes on the ogive, will make them seat out longer and the bullet will not seat into the chamber fully, hanging up on the actual lands of the barrel, making the case too long. That's one of the problems I find with OAL dimensions. If a shorter OAL works, that should be the solution. Just be careful with compressed loads or smaller case interior capacities, but you already know how to load so you're aware of these potential problems. Just a safety brief.

·
Registered
4,565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
plated projectiles

Had to take my oldest girl to college last week and then the wife surprised me with a short get away, so I didn't get back onto this till last night,first thing I did was double check my loads with the blue dot,I could have swore it was seven grains for a starting load but it was actually 8.5, so I bumped it up and loaded up some more rounds, then I took the gun apart and cleaned and lubed it, and this mooring I took a handful of rounds to the range, they chambered perfectly and fed and fired, they actually gave me a better group then I was getting with the FMJ and lil-gun, and since the 8.5 grains of blue dot barely fills the case half way I don't think the loss of .015 of case space is going to ad that much pressure,I checked all the cases and there were no signs of over pressure, if anything they shot softer then the others, as soon as I get paid I'm going to buy another 1,000 of them for stock!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts