1919 A4 Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gents, Ive been hobby building for a while now using a Harbor Freight flux core welder. My welding sucks, but I feel Im somewhat limited because of the equipment Im using. I want an upgrade but because I dont weld much, I cant justify spending hundreds of dollars.

Ive found a guy selling an older Miller 'Millermatic 130' for $325. It includes a nice cart but no tank. It looks used but not abused. This is a 110 volt welder. Im looking to do light to medium work (gun builds and small fabrication). I want a unit thats easy to learn, takes readily available parts (tips, nozzles, wire, etc). What do you guys think about this welding machine? What are some obvious 'stay away' items to look for?

·
Registered
383 Posts
I'm not a professional welder by any stretch of the imagination, but I do have 2 gas mig welders. I have one small Lincoln 110v welder that is good on light steel and body panels, and a bigger Miller 220v unit that works well on heavier material.

Most 110v welders in my opinion don't have enough amps to do the heavy metal welding. So weather this welder will work for you depends on what you want to weld. Decide how heavy of material you want to weld then find a welder than is rated for material about a third heavier. You want the extra capacity so you aren't stressing the welder if you start working it hard welding the material you figured on using it with.

Steve

·
Registered
87 Posts
I don’t claim to be an expert but do make a living welding. That said equipment and process selection is very important. From my experience hobby and budget store machines will only disappoint and frustrate further a person new to welding. For the applications most of us on the forum will see a MIG or TIG machine is best suited. MIG being a bit more beginner friendly but TIG being more precise and effective to the more experienced individuals. I wouldn’t stray far from Miller or Lincoln mostly because they are willing to spend the money on research and development to be the best in the business equipment wise.
Don’t sell the new 110 bolt machines short. They can do a very decent job if the operator takes the time to research and plan what they are going to weld. The used market is always flooded with top of the line equipment bought buy people that didn’t take the time to research what they were buying and learn how to use them. They can be had at a fraction of retail. YouTube and textbooks go a long way

The millermatics can be very good machines as long as you know they are not going to weld a bridge together. They are some of the top of the line small MIG machines.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts