1919 A4 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ohio ordnance has 1928 water-cooled bolts on sale today. The email says they will fit the 1917a1 and 1919a4. Is the extractor, and other parts interchangeable?

·
Premium Member
1,031 Posts
I'm not sure on all the specifics but.

yes they will fit...technicly

but

They use a different drive rod set up.

the 1928 uses a captive spring/rod combo that hooks in a hole in the RSP and is locked in when the backplate is installed.

I do not think a 1919 type rod will lock in a 1928 bolt.
There are No notches for it to lock into.

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
... They use a different drive rod set up. The 1928 uses a captive spring/rod combo that hooks in a hole in the RSP and is locked in when the backplate is installed. I do not think a 1919 type rod will lock in a 1928 bolt. There are no notches for it to lock into.
Yep, what he ^^^ said.

·
Premium Member
5,467 Posts

·
PhD in Over-Engineering
12,236 Posts
Like MSG says, it's a great value. But the Bolt needs its own drive spring system, with a specific RSP mod to match, and the Barrel Extension is not compatible with standard barrels due to the unique locking plunger.

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
But it still means you can get an extractor for $99.00
really that's what I was wanting to know. Even if the bolt itself can't be used, I was wondering about if the extractor, firing pin, sear spring, drive spring etc would work.

too late now. Sale has past. I have a few spares of all of those, but $99 for an extractor is the going rate these days. All of the other internals would have been gravy.

Once I am sure that I can use those parts at least, I'll be less hesitant to pull the trigger, so to speak, next time.

·
Registered
885 Posts
I was test firing my 1928 yesterday as part of my one gun a month campaign (get rid of the un-built parts kits) and had a couple of inconsistent feeding issues. So I went to exchange the extractor from a 1928 bolt I had just bought from OOW at the SAR show. The extractor from the Colt bolt #6?? would not fit the Argentine bolt #11?? and I had to changed out the whole bolt instead. I did not look at it too closely as about 20 people had gathered to see it run and I did not want to disappoint them. But it appears all the parts are not quite plug and play. I would not want to guarantee that a 1928 extractor would fit a 1919 bolt. Also the 1928 parts that are left over are "left overs" and you would be paying $99 for a tired part not a new extractor. Finally got the 1928 to run about 95% and put maybe 100 rounds through it.

Here is what I learned from the build on one of the early 80% plates:
The plate was not quite right regarding the bottom plate location front to back and I split the difference so it would not look bad.
The guide spring hole location was off on the plate, I had to enlarge the hole slightly and grind down the rear of the guide spring to create enough slop to allow the bolt to travel all the way back without binding. Had I noticed this before constructing the box I might have tried to fix the hole.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
The guide spring hole location was off on the plate, I had to enlarge the hole slightly and grind down the rear of the guide spring to create enough slop to allow the bolt to travel all the way back without binding. Had I noticed this before constructing the box I might have tried to fix the hole.
I seen the same thing. My solution was sell the plate and then make my own.

Karl

1 - 9 of 9 Posts