1919 A4 Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thanks to the current state of affairs here in NY, Ive been shooting my bolt guns quite a bit more. I own a dozen or so Mosins and don't want to shoot all the Milsurp ammo I have. Im ready to start reloading x54R. I intend on using IMR4895 or Varget (whichever I can actually find here in this barren state) and Ive already purchased 100 once fired brass cases. My question is....what to use for bullets? Ive heard that projectiles intended for .303 will work as they are closest to the standard .311, Ive also read that bullets meant for 7.62x51 (308) are a little too small. Id like to use a readily available, low cost bullet that mimics the military load. Does anyone have any recipe's for low to moderate loads?

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
If you want to give it a shot :rolleyes: , i'll be casting another batch of .311/.312's 160 and 170gr and powder coating them if you want to try something cheap out.

you dont have to beat yourself up , I've been using a unique load even in my enfield sniper and getting good results .

if you need any info i have quite a bit of resources on these.

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If you want to give it a shot :rolleyes: , i'll be casting another batch of .311/.312's 160 and 170gr and powder coating them if you want to try something cheap out.

you dont have to beat yourself up , I've been using a unique load even in my enfield sniper and getting good results .

if you need any info i have quite a bit of resources on these.
Sounds interesting. Im down for it. Im looking to replicate as close to possible the 148 grain (or as close too) combloc milsurp round.

My only issue with reloading manuals is that there is almost TOO much information for a newbie like myself. I also have very limited access to powders, and I don't want to go buying hundreds of bullets and find out they don't work well. Im looking for someone to say 'hey, ive used xx grains of xx powder and so and so bullets and it worked real well"...then I go see if I can find those components locally.

And for safety sake...I ALWAYS check load data I receive on internet forums against the manufactures website. I NEVER just blindly take advice without at least seeing if its a known combination.

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
if you're serious about it, slug the barrel first before you buy anything.

guy i shoot with has a 91/59 , perfect bore but wouldnt shoot a group at all . bore is .313 must have been free vodka day at the factory .

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
Cast bullets and a budget

I think Slugcatcher has you started down the right path. I've tried .308-311 diameter cast bullets in the last year, I did gas check mine. Don't know how accurate they are, as long as the steel plate makes a noise I'm good.
Keep us posted on your success. Nice to hear I'm not the only one addicted to Nagants.

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
if you're serious about it, slug the barrel first before you buy anything.

guy i shoot with has a 91/59 , perfect bore but wouldnt shoot a group at all . bore is .313 must have been free vodka day at the factory .
Ive got a small family of Mosins. There isnt any one in particular I plan on reloading for, I just want to be able to shoot pie plate accuracy at 100 yards.
I was kind of hoping that there is a common .311 projectile that readily available thru maybe Gander MTN or Runnings....???

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
100yd accuracy.

PM me and I'll send you 50 or so bullets to test.

12gr of Unique is perfect for your range. Lymans starting charge is usually 11gr .

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
100yd accuracy.

PM me and I'll send you 50 or so bullets to test.

12gr of Unique is perfect for your range. Lymans starting charge is usually 11gr .
I found several posts about IMR4895 being a good powder for this caliber. On a whim, I went out tonight and found a shop that actually had some. I brought it home and went to the IMR website.....they list FOUR stinking loads, all of them take .308 bullets. Where else can I find reliable reloading data using IMR?

I also have 2 tubs of Unique on hand. Here I was thinking its only good for shotguns!

PM sent with contact info.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts