1919 A4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok what is the slit for that has been cut into the end of the cocking handle? The end where you grip it, just to make it clear. Also i was wondering if this was an izzy thing or were these found on USGI 1919s of the ww2 timeframe? Thanks in advance.
Jason D
USAF

·
Premium Member
6,504 Posts
Jason, this has been a mystery and I've yet to hear anyone come up with a reason why it's there. The cool thing about those is that they are usually the only one with a screwdriver tip on the other end. Why a screwdriver tip...who knows. You can't use it to lock the driving rod because the charging handle is still in the gun during that step.

My personal guess about the slot is that it's just there for gripping enhancement when using the screwdriver.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Does the screwdriver tip also fit the barrel shroud screw? If it does then the driving spring rod could be combined to form a T handle to unscrew it.

·
Premium Member
6,504 Posts
I personally don't like them because after a long day at the range that slot tears your hand up pretty good and I'm way too delicate for that :).

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
I sure would like to have one of those with the knurling on it. Yea, they are probably rough on the hands, but it looks cool! Anyone know where to get one?

·
Premium Member
6,504 Posts
30cal LOL.

Ab, find one without knurling and send it to one of our guys on this site and have it knurled. I haven't bought two kits yet with the same handle in them. I don't use them anyway, I use the extended handles because of my big, clumsy ham hocks.

·
Premium Member
6,504 Posts
taber, just go over to the 1919 ad forum and do a WTB and you'll get several responses. You can get them knurled, unknurled, parked, in the white, etc.

·
Registered
3,065 Posts
Slotted handle - possibly for use in some armored vehicle with a retracting lever. Possibly to allow another devise to be attached to gain leverage for clearing jams. Possibly made just to confuse 1919A4 buffs.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Armorer said:
Slotted handle - possibly for use in some armored vehicle with a retracting lever. Possibly to allow another devise to be attached to gain leverage for clearing jams. Possibly made just to confuse 1919A4 buffs.
Those that have the retractor That I have seen use a even shorter cocking handle that is painful to retract do to it's stubbiness.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
loboslanding said:
I personally don't like them because after a long day at the range that slot tears your hand up pretty good and I'm way too delicate for that :).
I thought of that too and replaced mine with the unslotted type just for that reason. The ones I had that came with kits had burrs on them and although they could be filed off, they would likely burr again and cut you if not careful.

The knurled ones look good and I'm sure it adds to function if wearing a glove so it doesn't slip off. Someday I'll have them knurled but in the meantime, I'll settle for just not being cut by the large slotted ones.

As far as the extended ones go, That will be a machine shop project for me to do sometime when I'm hanging around my friends shop and feel like being creative. Maybe do one and have it chrome plated.....just for the "BLING" factor.:D

·
Premium Member
6,504 Posts
When machining your own, be sure and hollow it out like the originals to keep it light so it doesn't effect cyclic rate....really.

·
Registered
7,809 Posts
loboslanding said:
When machining your own, be sure and hollow it out like the originals to keep it light so it doesn't effect cyclic rate....really.
I have some extended ones that are narrower than the originals but not hollowed out. I guess I can't say for sure if it has adverse effects on cycling since I only shoot semi, but I know with my Emory crank I would still over crank the guns cycling ability. I suppose the larger diameter extended ones should be hollowed though.

About that slot in the originals - I think someone once mentioned that it was to aid in the use of the screwdriver tip - kind of like the booster slot, a place to add a leverage bar. Not sure if that's true - just thought I'd mention it.

·
Registered
106 Posts
extended handles

KMP sells a nice one. Not hollowed out though. Jim

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
i vote bottle opener

I will see if 30 cals idea works for a bottle opener this weekend. well thanks for the input guys i will continue my research looking at old photos.
Jason D
USAF

·
Registered
99 Posts
Hmm, could it possibly be for the extended cocking device when they saw limeted use as Door Guns on the Slicks???:confused:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts