1919 A4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK im building this 1919 to not only shoot and preserve history but to also bring a cool new toy out to reenact with. I was wondering what special equipment would i need to bring out for the impression for the 1919A4 with m2tripod? Also what would me assistant gunner have? we we both carry side arms (such as the 1911A1)? would my assistant gunner carry a full rifle or something like an m1 carbine?
Thanks in advance,
Jason D
USAF

·
Registered
886 Posts
Carbine on M1 thompson would do,,M1 would use .45 like 1911. Since he will be doing ammo or tripod the lighter his load the better. If all he has is a Garand he could use it, its just more weight for him.

·
BeltFed GURU
4,344 Posts
weight diffrance isn`t that great the thompson is about 2 Lb more i belive go with the Garand it uses the same ammo as the 1919 so ya can steal some from the belt when it really flys

·
Registered
30 Posts
What ever you decide you better eat your wheaties! I've seen many a reenactor fall out from carrying a 1919 (including myself). It really made me appreciate even more what a WWII machine gunner had to go thru.

·
Registered
106 Posts
weapons to carry...

Sir,

I would suggest looking at both the regs and also the photos from the period. From what I have been able to find, most machine gun crews carried .45 1911A1's and M1 carbines. This is not to say they did not carry other weapons, but keep in mind the weight you have to carry with the 1919 and the tripod and the extra ammo.

You may want to consider what gun maker you are going to use. If your primary use for this gun is going to be reenactments and not live fire, you can make the necessary modificcations and keep them on the gun. I'm a re-enactor / living historian and have quams about switching guns from live fire to blank fire...there is room for mistakes which could have deadly circumstances... I've been a reenactor for 25+ years and have seen to many folks hurt by mistakes which could have been prevented by dedicating a weapon to only one use

Have you thought of carrying the 1919A6 instead of the A4? You see great use of the 1919A6 in 1944-45, just look at the maching gun photos of Battle of the Bulge....I'm putting together a 1919A6 for live fire and public displays and don't plan on using it in reenacting.....

Lastly, thanks for your service in the USAF....

Mark Headlee
Lamar, Colorado

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
ktrip said:
What ever you decide you better eat your wheaties! I've seen many a reenactor fall out from carrying a 1919 (including myself). It really made me appreciate even more what a WWII machine gunner had to go thru.
Hate to play devils advocate and don't want to upset anybody but that WWII MG gunner was 19 or 20 years old and in great physical shape. Which we aren't. Okay I aren't.LOL:) :)

·
Registered
3,065 Posts
You might try FM 23-55, October 1955. Although this was published a few years after WWII it may be accurate. It shows a crew of three armed with M1911A1 pistols and M1 Carbines. The number one man appears to armed with the 1911A1 and carries the tripod and one can of ammo. The number two man carries the gun only and the number three man carries two boxes of ammo, a spare barrel and a huge "spare parts chest" that looks big enough to do a depot rebuild. The chest looks like the kind of box you would carry an electric drill and all accesories in. I'm sure a .50 cal ammo box would have worked for most spare parts needs. During the 1960's we were not authorized spare parts let alone a huge box. I have never seen any reference to these chest from any collector and I wonder if they actually existed. The chest is still shown in the July 1965 version of FM 23-55 which deletes any mention of the 1919A4 but only shows the 1919A6 and M37

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thanks!

Well thanks guys for all the input! I am still pretty young so think i can take 30 plus pounds and my assistant, well hes just as young and stupid as me so we will not have too much trouble carry all the gear. If we do just gives me a reason for the wife to let me buy my willys jeep! :) I have done a little research, just seeing what the fellow reenactors had to say about the issue. And i know the deal about using live fire weapons at reenactments, after everytime i shoot i take all guns apart inspect and clean and try to get the weapon to look like it just came out of the factory. Once again, thanks for the input you guys are always a help!
Jason D
USAF

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
from the book

the 1919a4 was considered a rifle company weapon. the MG section was a part of the weapons platoon. it consisted of 2 light MG squads, each composed of a corporal and 4 privates. each squad operated one machine gun. the CPL. was assigned as the squad leader while the PVTs served as the gunner, assistant gunner, and ammo bearers for the gun. when the gun was moved in the field, the gunner carried the tripod, and one can of ammo. the assistant gunner carried the gun, a pair of asbestos gloves, a spare parts kit, and one can of ammo. The first ammo bearer carried a spare barrel, a spare parts kit, and one can of ammo. the second ammo bearer carried 2 cans of ammo

·
Registered
82 Posts
3 to the crew. One gunner who carries the gun with pintle and a can of ammo, One A gunner who carries the tripod and an M1 carbine and a can of ammo, and an ammo bearer with a garand and a can of ammo. I was gunner for a reenactment back last year. It was exhausting playing infantry with it, so it now sports it'self on my jeep.... lol.

Me and my ammo bearer waiting to ambush the germans...

After our advance across the road, we got ambushed when we tried to setup the gun...

After the battle, and our last offense...we were taken out by a MP40 bearing german and the armored car....

To avoid any live/blank issues I do the following:

Blanks - ONLY get loaded in cloth BELTS and stored in PERIOD ammo cans.

Live ammo - ONLY get loaded on LINKS and stored in MODERN ammo cans.

This makes it very easy to distinguish between the two.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
reenacting

FN74, great pics and great idea about live and blank ammo. Where do you reenact out of? I used to be up in the midwest and had the chance to carry some heavy weapons but spent most my time as a crew member of a anti tank gun, a PAK40 and sometimes a IG18, fun toys:D . when I did GI it was just a garand.
Jason D
USAF

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
see this sucks

i wish i could get based else were, there is not a whole lot of reenacting in new mexico, we could do africa, it gets hot enough, up to 105 some times
Jason D
USAF

·
Registered
82 Posts
iyaayas84 said:
i wish i could get based else were, there is not a whole lot of reenacting in new mexico, we could do africa, it gets hot enough, up to 105 some times
Jason D
USAF
There is a bunch over in AZ. In fact they just had a hell of an event over near flagstaff. So cal has a bunch as well. TX too. NM is just in the middle of nowhere...lol.

http://ww2reenactors.proboards35.com/index.cgi Reenacting forum - you'll have to register, but you can find a unit near you. Are you in ALBQ or Alamagordo or Clovis or elsewhere?

If you can come to GA - warner robbins - look us up.

For some of the Camp Navaho pics: http://www.501stpir.com/photos/?album=Battle_of_the_Bulge_Camp_Navajo_Feb_06

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
reenacting

ya im next to clovis but the air force only lets us go 6 hours without taking leave so other states are almost out of the question. but ill be sent someplace else hopefully soon.
Jason D
USAF

·
Registered
886 Posts
reenactorsproboard35 is run by a bunch of jerks,,,stay away!!

·
Registered
82 Posts
tommygunner06 said:
reenactorsproboard35 is run by a bunch of jerks,,,stay away!!

Don't really feel that's necessary here. Let him make his own mind up. I'm a member there, and have had little problem with the board.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts