1919 A4 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up a trunnion at the local gunshow last weekend and it looks like a 1919 trunnion, feels like a 1919 trunnion, smells like a 1919 trunnion but the upper front rivet hole is about a third lower than standard and a hair farther back.

any ideas---m 37? argentine? fn???

·
PhD in Over-Engineering
12,235 Posts
The Argentine holes are only off by about .060, if I recall. No clue about FN as I have never had one. The M37 would be very distinguishable by the pocket in the front for the top cover detent pawl. That is the reason the top hole is located differently, while the others are the same as 1919. Would probably have a chromed feedway too. Let me know if it fits this description as I would have an interest if it is available.

Edit: Here is an M37 trunnion I just happened to have a pic of. It's actually a 1919 modified to M37 spec.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Lucky 13--thanks for the pics--Its not for a 37---rivet hole is not that far forward and it is machined for left hand feed only---

·
"man of the cloth" Loader
864 Posts
Mag 58

Could it be a mag 58? Iv'e not played with 1 yet but just guessing.
BA

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's a 1919 trunnion for sure--just not standard U.S. It's probably argentine but could be FN I've never seen FN but know the Argentine gun had this difference

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
the FN trunnion is no where near a 1919 trunnion

if it looks like a 1919 trunnion, it most definately isnt FN 30, 36, 38, or 39

or the ANM2 in any flavor (these are MUCH skinnier than a standard 1919 trunnion)

the argie should be chromed

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
trunnio is not chromed---wish it was then i would know for sure it's Argentine

Thanks to everyone for feedback.

·
PhD in Over-Engineering
12,235 Posts
boman- Any way you can get a pic for us to see? I can host it and post it if you can take it!

·
Registered
174 Posts
boman said:
I picked up a trunnion at the local gunshow last weekend and it looks like a 1919 trunnion, feels like a 1919 trunnion, smells like a 1919 trunnion but the upper front rivet hole is about a third lower than standard and a hair farther back.

any ideas---m 37? argentine? fn???

No disrespect to LUCKY13, but I believe his recollection of how much the Argentine trunnion rivet hole is off is in error. I don't have access to my Argentine build up right now, but I'm positive the rivet hole is off by more than 0.060"....more like what BOMAN is stating.

Also, my Argentine "innards" are either chromed or in the white......but the trunnion is definitely NOT.

My vote is its an Argentine trunnion.

hkg3k

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
i have an argentine 1919 with nickel internals, and chromed trunnion - it is definately argentine and it is definately chromed

my argie is the only one ive ever seen with my own eyes, so i just assumed all were chromed

·
PhD in Over-Engineering
12,235 Posts
hkg3k- No disrespect at all. I posted last year about a trunnion I was using for a 1919 build. It was a collection of parts, not purchased as a kit. The trunnion holes were just slightly off and I was asking for anyone who had experienced that before. One or two people thought it was an Argentine 1919trunnion, but it was not conclusive. I was just going by my recollection. I have pics somewhere of the misalignment with the side plate.
As to this one, I have no idea what boman has or whether or not the Argentine ones were chromed. Certainly the one I had was not, but I still don't know what it was off of. I plugged and re drilled it to fit.

B.A.R.- I have two Colt 1928, Argentine contract (I believe) bolts. I thought they were in the white, but someone posted recently that these were nickel plated. I looked again and I think that may be correct. Don't know if that was done to the Argentine 1919s as I have not seen one. That appears to be the case for the Colt Commercial water cooleds though, at least the ones that were brought back in from Argentina. Don't know if all the Colt commercial production in the between-the-wars period was done that way.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I would be glad to take a pic but I don't have it anymore---I got it from Tore (OOW) at the Indy 1500 this month and have already exchanged it. He thought it was Argy when I talked to him on the phone last Thursday. This trunnion was not chromed or nickle plated--it was parkerized.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Lucky 13, Your Colt bolts probably are nickleplated---Don't know what you know about Thompsons but Colt produced the first 15000 (1921 Model) and nickle plating was standard on the bolts. Makes sense they would put it on their 1928 browning.

·
PhD in Over-Engineering
12,235 Posts
I'll buy that. :)

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
i have 2 argie 1928s, and 1 argie 1919
all have nickel plated bolt parts for CERTAIN
i dropped by a plating shop here and they told me without doubt the parts were nickel plated

Mike

1 - 15 of 15 Posts