1919 A4 Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone stripped the paint off any of the USGI tripods Apex is offering? Is there good park underneath? And does anyone know if the newly made T&E they are offering is the same imported one everyone else is carrying? Or is it something better? I talked to a gal on the phone, but she didn't know about the pods. As I wait for the right deal on a semi 1919A4 I think I'll start gathering up the necessary accessories.

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
The new made T&E's are the same units everyone has, imported by AIM sports.
We have no idea what is under that paint on the tripods.
Gary Cole had bead blasted some and parkerized them, it's where the tripod parts we have came from because he never put some back together.

Richard

·
Registered
734 Posts
Don’t be afraid of the Apex tripods. They’re USGI sent to Israel. Use it till you feel like refinishing. I’ve not refinished any of mine.
They are most likely parked, under several layers of paint, but the several layers of paint are most likely because the original park finish was well worn.... I have an original USGI tripod refurbed in '63, and it has at least 3 coats of OD green love! :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
Nothing like a fresh coat of GI paint to make your GI gear look good for inspection by the unit Commander.

Even tanks look presentable with a nice fresh camo paint job!

Squad Vehicle Cargo pants Military uniform Wheel

We even painted the dummy 105 round!

Richard

·
Premium Member
8,244 Posts
I blasted two of their tripods today and will be parkerizing them this weekend. There was a decent amount of park under one of them but the other one had little to no park so you won't know until you get into it. Either way, they cleaned up beautifully and will look brand new when I am done with them.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I got the one from Apex for $350 on sale if I remember right and it’s definitely Israeli/USGI with some tan paint on it. Before buying it I found several homebuilt tripods with old USGI parts welded together for around the $200-250 mark, but they just don’t feel authentic and certain things you’ll find are missing/incorrect. No regrets here

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
Ok Richard, you the middle guy?
NO, that is SSG J. Jones, my Tank Commander at the time (C25 2/37 Armor, 1st Inf. Div FWD).
I am standing on his right side, I was the gunner of that fine M60A1 (R.I.S.E. PASSIVE).
We were selected to go spend the weekend on another base as a display because I had just painted C25 inside and out.
We actually got the exterior camo colour scheme wrong (used the paint we had) and it looked better than usual.

Richard

·
Registered
3,467 Posts
Off topic: Richard you look different without a beard.

On topic: Apex tripods are quality at a fair price. Nobody ever said “I wish I bought a Chinese knockoff instead”

·
Registered
635 Posts
On topic: Apex tripods are quality at a fair price. Nobody ever said “I wish I bought a Chinese knockoff instead”

I bought one (2 actually) of those from APEX and am very happy.
It was an M-2 marked up to an M-122 see pics.......
Wood Gas Font Circle Metal
Bicycle part Gas Auto part Metal Composite material

AZB

1 - 15 of 15 Posts