1919 A4 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7,790 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ran into an issue with some cannon grade powder last weekend that literally would not ignite. Caused me all kinds of grief pulling out wads and powder charges (twice). It was from last year and had been pre-measured and packaged in tin foil as a drop in charge - I usually do about a dozen at a time. We even poured out the powder from a different charge or two and tried lighting it by fuse and gas grill igniter and it would not light. WE finally got one loose charge/pile to lite after about ten seconds on touching with the hand held igniter.

So......does moisture/air/foil or anything like that effect powder in a years time? It's stored in a 30 cal ammo can indoors, so I was very surprised.

I did have a fresh unopened container/bottle along, so we got to play a lot anyhow, but man what a pain to de-charge a cannon, lol.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I had several failures to fire at our 4th of July shoot this year as well. Using mostly fuse this year but had several that didn’t fire. Some we re-fused with success. Some fired with friction primers. All relativity new dry sealed powder.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Damn, nothing is worse than a cannon that won't go boom. LOL
Mine is just a golf ball cannon but I have never had this problem, however I always keep my powder in original container stored in a 50cal ammo can.

I clean it with soap and water but am getting some rust, what do you guys use for that (Gibbs) ?

·
Registered
62 Posts
After I wash it I put it up on end for a day or
So to drain good. Then I usually douche it pretty good with a can of wd40 and let it drain some more. Then I run a motor oil soaked mop in it several times. Good heavy coat of oil. I just use whatever motor oil I have laying around.

don’t know if this is the “right” way, it’s just what I’ve always done.

Damn, nothing is worse than a cannon that won't go boom. LOL
Mine is just a golf ball cannon but I have never had this problem, however I always keep my powder in original container stored in a 50cal ammo can. View attachment 100803
I clean it with soap and water but am getting some rust, what do you guys use for that (Gibbs) ?
View attachment 100804

·
Registered
490 Posts
After I wash it I put it up on end for a day or
So to drain good. Then I usually douche it pretty good with a can of wd40 and let it drain some more. Then I run a motor oil soaked mop in it several times. Good heavy coat of oil. I just use whatever motor oil I have laying around.

don’t know if this is the “right” way, it’s just what I’ve always done.
Thank you sir,
I was just concerned about how the cannon powder would react with the WD40 and motor oil once you light the fuse, or do you try to clean it out before shooting ?

·
Registered
62 Posts
honestly never gave it much thought. But perhaps I’ll make a point to swab it out a little better before use next time around.

I use foil pouches for the powder but it still won’t hurt.

Thank you sir,
I was just concerned about how the cannon powder would react with the WD40 and motor oil once you light the fuse, or do you try to clean it out before shooting ?

·
Registered
7,790 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I always burn a couple of fuses before firing a foil charge - just to dry out the fuse hole and bottom of chamber. My issues occurred after firing a few successful loads, so it wasn't an oil or wet condition in the barrel causing problems.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Put your powder charges in tin foil (well really aluminum foil).
That way oil or other stuff will not bother them.
I have a golf ball cannon and a bowling ball mortar, I pre measure and package charges for both using foil.
Place the foil charge in the barrel, ram home, seat projectal, use a prick to punch a hole in the charge, insert fuse and away you go.

·
Registered
7,790 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That's an interesting idea - if I ever go the extended storage time of pre-loaded charges in foil I'll consider that - might help, dunno.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts