1919 A4 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've acquired 2 1919 kits from two different individuals which I am getting ready to build. Reading diligently on this site, I am keen to the issue of proper head space and the cautions of using improper ammo so I'm a bit concerned in regards to chambering and what these kits are really chambered for. The parts in both kits are all stamped 7.62 including the barrels. One kit, which came in an Ohio Ordinance Works box, has "308" written on the barrel with a black magic marker but I see no machining or grinding on the end of the barrel to indicate any modification. When I measure the depth of the chamber from the face of the barrel to the beginning of the first taper, I measure about 1.438" deep on both kit's barrels. I am using a depth micrometer so it's not a perfect measurement as it's easy to slide up the taper with my measurement device. But, I'm pretty certain they are both the same. I've also read about 7.62 NATO versus .308 and have seen all the good tutorials for what can happen if I use the wrong ammo. Can anyone tell me if this is the proper chamber depth for 7.62 NATO or is there a better way to measure/verify the chambering without making a mold of the chamber?

·
BeltFed GURU
4,394 Posts
It is chambered in 7.62 x 51 NATO No Doubt !! Yes the land /groove is .308 ,it will fire both cartridges the issue is Overall length in the feed way of the gun most .308 is shorter so you have to shim the front spacer to accommodate the shorter slug issue to feed consistently in the gun other than that No issue !

·
Registered
566 Posts
I may start an argument, but i suspect the folks tagging the kits didn't see/care a difference in 7.62 vs 308. Ive never heard of an an actual 308 chambered 1919 gun. In a 1919 think it's minor anyway... Shoot them unless u have feed issues (i havent) and be very happy you own a belt fed... Buy a crankfire crank if u can/are allowed, and smile (on sale to xmass i see)... Oh and stack the ammo deep, deeper than u can afford... :eek:

·
Registered
215 Posts
I may start an argument, but i suspect the folks tagging the kits didn't see/care a difference in 7.62 vs 308. Ive never heard of an an actual 308 chambered 1919 gun. In a 1919 think it's minor anyway... Shoot them unless u have feed issues (i havent) and be very happy you own a belt fed... Buy a crankfire crank if u can/are allowed, and smile (on sale to xmass i see)... Oh and stack the ammo deep, deeper than u can afford... :eek:
The .308 is for use is for use in sporting rifles the 7.62 is for use in military rifles and loaded hotter. As long as their FMJ length should be the same. I would not use 7.62 in a sporting rifle. J.R.

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
The .308 is for use is for use in sporting rifles the 7.62 is for use in military rifles and loaded hotter. As long as their FMJ length should be the same. I would not use 7.62 in a sporting rifle. J.R.
Commercial ammunition is loaded hotter than military, not the other way around.

NATO standard for 7.62 NATO is a maximum chamber pressure of 50,000 psi.

SAAMI maximum chamber pressure is 60,000 psi .308 Winchester.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Commercial ammunition is loaded hotter than military, not the other way around.

NATO standard for 7.62 NATO is a maximum chamber pressure of 50,000 psi.

SAAMI maximum chamber pressure is 60,000 psi .308 Winchester.
I
OOPS I always was bassackward. J.R.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts