1919 A4 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a postie 1919 in 3006 and when trying to fire singles or trying to fire triples the top cover pops up. And cause a jam. When I hold it down it continues till the belt is empty. Is the top cover at fault? I have not ran into this issue before... Timing is right at .067 and headspace is set at 1 click from in battery... Any ideas would be great full. Thank you

Aaron

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7,022 Posts
top cover problem....

Suggest you check the amount of metal that the top cover latch is covering. If necessary,file a bit to get a more positive latch. Then check movement of the slide...it could be binding a bit. Your sear may be wearing out...replace it. Also check the trigger face where it contacts the sear. Both may need replacement.There are better trouble-shooters out here...I'm still learning.

·
Registered
215 Posts
I have a postie 1919 in 3006 and when trying to fire singles or trying to fire triples the top cover pops up. And cause a jam. When I hold it down it continues till the belt is empty. Is the top cover at fault? I have not ran into this issue before... Timing is right at .067 and headspace is set at 1 click from in battery... Any ideas would be great full. Thank you

Aaron

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
May be a weak top cover spring.J.R.

·
Registered
63 Posts
With the top cover closed, take a good close look at how the top cover latch is engaging it. You may have to do some light filing on the engagement surfaces to get to to come forward a bit more and get a good "bite" on the top cover. If the top rear corner of the top cover is worn, damaged, or rounded off, you may have to replace or repair the top cover, but fitting the latch will probably solve your problem.

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
Check your booster. Years ago when I built mine, it was an Izzy kit but we ran 30-06 first time out. Would fire a few rds then pop the cover. Swapped the booster and all went right with the world.

Worth checking along with the above mentioned.

·
PhD in Over-Engineering
12,236 Posts
Great input from everyone. Just to tag on the question of fit between the latch and the top cover plate, I have also seen examples where too much material was removed. Have also seen examples where, at some level, the latch plate on the cover has been welded up to allow for filing to fit, if found under spec. So if it is not a case where proper overlap is lacking and material needs to be removed, look to see if the opposite is the case.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I had to file a small amount off the top cover latch, I had about a 1/16th or less catching the top cover. like the above poster stated, one or two strokes with a file, then check closure. It didn't take much to make the latch snap with about an 1/8th over the top cover.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Top cover pops open

Finally got my paperwork for my 1917 and immediately addressed the minor problem of the top cover latch not closing all the way. Never popped open but did not latch completely when the cover was dropped in place. Seems the problem was the shape of the spring. The tip of the spring was not curved enough and the straight part of the spring would bottom out ( maybe I should say tops out ) on the top of the top plate so tip of the spring could not travel far enough down the V notch. Took a torch and put more curve in the spring tip so it could travel further into the V groove without running out of travel. It might help to explain that the curved tip of the spring is the only part of the spring that is supposed to contact the top plate in the V notch only. Anyway it now latches completely shut when the cover is dropped shut. Good luck, this simple device can be a little tricky.

·
Registered
3,169 Posts
My A-4 kept popping the top cover up...it was a new DLO build. So what's better than popping in and letting Doug look at it. He popped the latch off, stuck it in a vise, grabbed a big frickin screwdriver and bent it out a bit. Never popped again.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts