1919 A4 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's a question for the gurus here. I have never used a flash hider but decided to try an M6 on my FA gun. My question is about a booster. I know a different orifice is needed when firing 7.62 ammo but how about when using the M6? Do I need to do anything since the M6 was designed to function with .30 ammo? Thanks.

·
Registered
312 Posts
M6 flash hidder

The hole in the booster cone of a 30 cal is larger than the 7.62 because of the power difference in the two rounds. Logic dictates that using an M6 flash hider on a 7.62 gun is likely to cause functioning issues. Where there is the will there is the way. If you have access to machine tools the flash hider could easily be modified to work I'm sure. It will be interesting to hear what others think about this question. I am soon going to put a flash hider on my 1917 ( Just for looks ) but then there are no booster issues to be had on that gun.

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That was exactly what I was unsure of. It sounds reasonable to have to adapt it. Anyone have hands-on experience with this issue?

·
PhD in Over-Engineering
12,239 Posts
This is something we dealt with many years ago. The general rule we had with the semi guns was to try the M6 as is, and if it fails to produce enough energy to function or impact belt lift, then get the FH bushed down. Some guns were fine, others not so much. Of course, the semi does not have cyclic rate issues to deal with like your FA gun, so that adds another dimension. No question it is a good idea to bush the piece down for the caliber. Still, if it is not a big production number for you to make a trip to the range or other shooting grounds, I'd still try it as is to see how she runs. If, on the other hand, a day of shooting depends on utter lack of issues, you may want to just get it done ahead of time.

I am pretty sure that more than one member here has offered the service, but I know TARGSHOOT was the main go-to guy for that. I think he may still be able to handle that job for you, so drop him a line and see. If you have your own ability to do it, then by all means go for it.

·
Premium Member
5,467 Posts

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks. The .695 sleeve is probably what I need. Would the A4 barrel length vary from the C5? I'm not very familiar with that gun and just wondering if a different barrel length might necessitate a different sleeve ID.

·
Registered
625 Posts
In the past, I've made a removable sleeve for the M6. Never heard how it worked out. Pretty simple though. One end is tapered and the other end is threaded and the nut pulls the sleeve into the taper. The nut I used was .700-24 ( I used it because I had the tap). Somewhere I've still got the sketches. I'll check tomorrow and see if I can find them.

·
Registered
587 Posts
+1 targshoot

This is something we dealt with many years ago. The general rule we had with the semi guns was to try the M6 as is, and if it fails to produce enough energy to function or impact belt lift, then get the FH bushed down. Some guns were fine, others not so much. Of course, the semi does not have cyclic rate issues to deal with like your FA gun, so that adds another dimension. No question it is a good idea to bush the piece down for the caliber. Still, if it is not a big production number for you to make a trip to the range or other shooting grounds, I'd still try it as is to see how she runs. If, on the other hand, a day of shooting depends on utter lack of issues, you may want to just get it done ahead of time.

I am pretty sure that more than one member here has offered the service, but I know TARGSHOOT was the main go-to guy for that. I think he may still be able to handle that job for you, so drop him a line and see. If you have your own ability to do it, then by all means go for it.
TARGSHOOT done 2 for me about 10 years ago, they both still function perfect.
And you can trust him, Lance is a good guy

·
Premium Member
798 Posts
Thanks. The .695 sleeve is probably what I need. Would the A4 barrel length vary from the C5? I'm not very familiar with that gun and just wondering if a different barrel length might necessitate a different sleeve ID.
medalguy--

Barrel length on the C1/C5A1 are the same as the A4. Bushings were applied to the Boosters and Flashhiders to get them to work in 7.62mm NATO.

--fjruple

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Great information on this board, thanks. I still marvel at all the drawings and specs that have been preserved and shown here. So much historical information was just tossed out by the government as unneeded and outdated, and it's a real shame that wasn't preserved somewhere.

Thanks to everyone for the data. Beltfed if you have any drawings they would be a big help.

·
Premium Member
5,467 Posts
Great information on this board, thanks. I still marvel at all the drawings and specs that have been preserved and shown here. So much historical information was just tossed out by the government as unneeded and outdated, and it's a real shame that wasn't preserved somewhere.

Thanks to everyone for the data. Beltfed if you have any drawings they would be a big help.

The drawings were preserved at RIA on 35mm film rolls along with the drawing index cards which ID the revisions by date and film roll. Where these things are going I don't know. They almost did get thrown out but the Gatekeeper saved them.

·
Registered
711 Posts
Just curious to the difference of the US a6 assembly to the Izzy a6 assembly. I would have thought the Izzy was modified for the 308 already. I thought there was a difference in the bipod but now I'm curious about the difference in the barrel profile and weights too.

·
Premium Member
5,467 Posts
Just curious to the difference of the US a6 assembly to the Izzy a6 assembly. I would have thought the Izzy was modified for the 308 already. I thought there was a difference in the bipod but now I'm curious about the difference in the barrel profile and weights too.
My take is Izzys used their "A6" parts as an add on or accessory to the modified A4's just like the US did originally using the A4 barrel, jacket and booster. This does NOT mean we didn't give the Izzys some "real" A6's but I'm not sure what they did with them. The Izzys copied the US sheet metal stock but developed their own carry handle and bipod both in my opinion superior to the US design. There is some info on the A6 here. http://m1919tech.com/23934.html

·
Premium Member
798 Posts

Medalguy--

I have attached several drawings of the Canadian method of bushing the M6 flashhider for 7.62mm NATO.

Cheers

--fjruple

Text Diagram Line Font Design

Text Diagram Line Parallel Font

Text Line Diagram Font Parallel

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for the dwgs. That's super!

·
Registered
625 Posts
Thans for posting the pics. I downloaded them into my folder with other drawings for the flash hiders. I also found my original sketch for the conversions I did years ago which allowed the sleeve to be removed. (the nut was staked in place)

View attachment M6 Conversion.pdf

·
Registered
312 Posts
Removable insert

How do you get a removable bushing out of the M6 flash hider after a few thousand rounds. Sounds like an oxymoron to me. Ha! Ha!

·
Registered
2,967 Posts
The Izzies did sleeve some of the converted a/6 booster/flash hiders. i have seen them but only a few. this pertians to the usgi converted a/6s not the late izzy a/6s

1 - 20 of 20 Posts