1919 A4 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've seen build pictures from a number of people showing the LSP riveted to the bottom plate. Did they typically arrive that way? I'm cleaning and doing inventory on my kit and the LSP has all the rivets connecting it to the bottom plate ground and MOSTLY drilled out. There's enough work still to be done so I know these plates didn't come from separate guns, but I have to finish drilling out the rivets and will need to install new ones.

Is this normal, meaning they need to remove the rivets to get the parts out?

If not normal, any insight as to why it might have have been done? The rivet removal seems to be reasonably well done, the heads appear to have been ground off and the remaining rivet bodies mostly (but not all) drilled out. Is it part of the dissassembly process?

Thanks, 2K

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
The kits that I have built all had the lsp attached to the bottom plate. I did not remove the rivets and re-do it because that would have been pointless extra work. But I have seen tons of kits that don't come that way.

·
Registered
164 Posts
The two kits I have from Sarco had the bottom plate seperated from the lsp. One had some nasty grinder and punch marks from the demill process.

·
Registered
6,355 Posts
As I disremember, the S(ell)A(anything)R(usty)CO kits I got had the rivets ground but not separated. Not a big project to remove, but would rather have had the rivets intact.

Carry On!
Gary
><>

·
PhD in Over-Engineering
12,236 Posts
The matter of the bottom plate and left side plate being together or separated depended largely on who did the de milling process. I think it used to be common to remove the bottom plate entirely, until some importers started leaving the assembly intact, after removing the RSP. OOW even left a sliver of the RSP riveted in, so the builder could do a clean removal of rivets and not grind the plate. Those were my favorites, even though they required more work. Grinding marks are common, however, on many kits. Just a matter of how deep.

·
Premium Member
5,467 Posts
Lucky is correct OOW kits MOSTLY have the rsp cut off just above the right bottom plate riveting flange. left side plate remained riveted to the bottom plate

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm thinking about smoothing down the grind marks (where the rivets were, both R and L sides) on the bottom plate with a surface grinder - they're actually pretty modest, but I assume it's still going to show up after I re-park it, so why not smooth it down. Have you guys done this? Any tips? I've never used a surface grinder but I have access to one in my shop class.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts