1919 A4 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7,837 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What would one list the M2HB as on a 4473? other? or rifle?

This would be for a semi auto M2HB of course.......;)

·
Premium Member
3,030 Posts
"Rifle" on the 4473 and in your bound book if it is an approved semi-auto.

"Machine gun" if it is one by law or regulation and you are listing it in your bound book. Of course you won't be filling out a 4473.

Had this conversation with my tech not too long ago.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Other

The choices on form 4473 Sec. B question 18 are "handgun", "long gun", or "other firearm". A semi-M2HB obviously is not a "handgun" (defined as being designed or intended to be fired from one hand) so that leaves 2 choices, either "long gun" or "other". If you read the instructions for question 18 you'll see that they describe that a pistol grip shotgun must be marked as "other ". Why is a "pistol grip" shotgun not considered a "long gun"? You have to look at the definition of a "long gun". A "long gun" is defined by being "designed or intended to be fired from the shoulder". A "pistol grip" shotgun lacks a shoulder stock, therefore is not "designed or intended to be fired from the shoulder" (as configured at time of transfer) so it is not, by definition, a "long gun". So, Back to the semi-M2HB ... It is not a "handgun" and is not "designed or intended to be fired from the shoulder" so by definition it is not a "long gun" so that leaves only one choice of "other". A semi-auto 1919a4, 1917a1, ect would also fall under the "other" category if for no other reason, the lack of a shoulder stock.

·
Registered
7,837 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hmmm.....well - that got me two different answers. :)

I guess I'm gonna go with other in box 18, and rifle in section D #29. I don't know how else to describe the type of firearm in that box? I'll just make a note of what it is in box #30.

Thanks for the replies - these belt feds are a tad confusing when adding to a 4473.

·
Registered
2,873 Posts
It is " other" .
The only one of this family of beltfeds that could be even considered as long arms are the 1919A6 and the USMC Stinger . Both have buttstocks .
Chris

·
Registered
145 Posts
Other

The type in Sec. D box 29 would be "other". A note in Sec. D box 30c with a better description would be acceptable, but not necessary. If you read the instructions for Sec. D question 26,27,28,29 and 30 it states "types of firearms include: pistol, revolver, rifle, shotgun, receiver, frame and other". Only applicable type would be "other". Hope that helps, Trent

·
Registered
7,837 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The type in Sec. D box 29 would be "other". A note in Sec. D box 30c with a better description would be acceptable, but not necessary. If you read the instructions for Sec. D question 26,27,28,29 and 30 it states "types of firearms include: pistol, revolver, rifle, shotgun, receiver, frame and other". Only applicable type would be "other". Hope that helps, Trent
Thanks Trent. I neglected to look at the instructions for the box and went by the etc. wording in the box. The instruction do clearly establish the word other should be in both boxes. So simple, and right there in black and white. How easy it is to forget how to read, and "google" for the answer now-a-days. Thanks again.....lesson "refresher" appreciated.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Wiseguy. If there were more people like you, I wouldn't make tall cabbage answering questions about how to fill those things out.

this is correct - it does not meet the definition of either a rifle or shotgun, so long gun is out. 21 and in state to transfer from a dealer. There actually is no such animal as "other" in the GCA, but the term serves a purpose.

·
PhD in Over-Engineering
12,236 Posts
Another good reason to hate 4473s. :tongue:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts