1919 A4 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
all - So I noticed that the South african ammo is starting to dry up. I see that the next cheapest ammo is the Wolf stuff, but I am unsure how the steel case would work in a 1919 semi auto?

Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Thanks, David

·
Registered
2,916 Posts
I dont know any reason it shouldnt work fine, Romanian steel case 8MM works like it was made for it.

To save starting another thread, anybody got any info on the russian 60s .308 that SG is selling?

·
Registered
636 Posts
HottAK47 said:
I dont know any reason it shouldnt work fine, Romanian steel case 8MM works like it was made for it.

To save starting another thread, anybody got any info on the russian 60s .308 that SG is selling?
I ordered a couple of cases and I'll post on how it looks when it gets here, should be on the 10th.

·
Registered
7,787 Posts
Is that copper washed steel cases on the russian stuff? I think I saw that recently while in their site.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I Am About To Try The Wolf Myself. I Have Run About 500 Rounds Of Copper Washed Steel Made By Norinco And Sold As Chinasport .308 That I Purchased In The Early 90's Through My Izzy. I Didn't Have A Single Problem.
Bernie---delmiltrucks

·
Registered
68 Posts
HottAK47 said:
Copper-washed steel case, Berdan primed, non-reloadable, corrosive.
Ken

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Check out www.aimsurplus.com they still have .308 SA ammo 140rds for $26 I believe SG and CTD are asking $50 for the same of ammo. I bought 4 packs of it I know its not enough but it'll do until I have more $ to spend on the gun.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Response back and how about Chilian 7.62 Nato ?

I have a bit of the South African, but it looks like it is going to dry up so thinking the future I thought I would look around and see what other kinds of inexpensive ammo was available - and I came across the Wolf.

I might just pick up 1k of the Wolf to see how it works out.

I already know to stay away from the current batch of Indian, does anyone know anything about Chilian 7.62 nato ? ? I havent found much info on the web ? ?

David

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
I've shot Wolf through mine and it worked fine. It was actually pretty accurate too. Maintained a tight grouping on the berm, very consistant loading.

·
Premium Member
1,239 Posts
Wouldn't

Wouldn't it be plausable to think that the steel casings will be harder on the things such as the extractors and other wearable parts... Also if you really don't strip the chamber really good after each shoot don't you get the varnish build up in the chamber?

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
WOLF and ULY have stopped laquering cases long ago, they poly coat it now.......when they did laquer the case, they only laquered where the bullet is seated in the case and at the base of it, to seal the primer....they did not laquer the entire case..........I have fired plenty of the laquered cases out of my AK, SKS, with no problem, no build up in the chamber, still have plenty of that ammo came in the beige brick packaging ...and have about 2K of the old laquered ULY 5.45 ammo, when they first came in.

as for the steel case being hard on the extractor and other parts.....that rumor has been circulating for eons on different boards.......I would say that would be true, if you have parts that are much softer then the steel in these cases....I have yet to read about anybody saying they had to replace their extractor or any other part of their gun because it was worn out from firing steel cased ammo. will it evetually wear out, of course........even the brass case ammo will wear out a extractor, but you're talking about tens of thousands of rounds for each.

·
Premium Member
1,239 Posts
Okay

Okay well I just figured I'd get input on that I may be buying some wolf this weekend if I can't find enough south african surplus... I Haven't seen the stuff yet with out it being coated on every part of the case yet...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts