1919 A4 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got some new 250 round cloth belts that I am in the slow process of loading. First, is there an easier way of loosening these things up? I'm using a makeshift single round loader like some of the guys here use. Also, how far should I press the cartridge into the belt? I'm pushing them in until I can see about 1/16" of the case on the opposite side of the belt. Is that too far?

I appreciate the help!

Kris

·
Registered
49 Posts
I dont even have a single loader, so I feel your pain, get a coke, pop in a movie and get to work. Some say to soak them in clp, but I tried that and it just made a mess, smelly mess that my wife wont let in the house. I use vice grips with electrical tape wrapped around them. I usually let just a hint of brass stick out the other side, maybe a 1/16. Just try and get them all pretty even, but dont kill yourself trying to be perfect, my 1919 is pretty forgiving about depth setting. After a few times through them, they will loosen up a bit. I bought some used ones from oow and they were pretty good, loose enough to load easy, but not so used they are junky. Just remember, it takes only a minute to unload these things that you have worked on for 2 hours, and its worth every second.

576 Posts
Kris,

Well..... this won't be popular with others but fork over the cash and buy a REAL belt loader.....it is the ONLY way to go. I guess if you shoot one or two belts every trip you can get by dinking around with a sinigle loder but of you ever plan on getting serious about shooting you need a REAL loader.

Another option is abondon belts and go links. For semi it isn't too bad.

Just my .02 and you get what you pay for.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Most of the belts out there were meant to be filled with 30-06.
30-06 is slightly smaller in diameter than 308.
That said, I load new belts with 30-06 first then remove the 30-06
and load with 308.
It make's filling belt's a good bit easier.
Good Luck

Jim

·
Registered
380 Posts
drill them in

since i only shoot about 40 rounds in mine i use a lee shell
holder and their threaded trimming bushing in my drill. lock
the case in the shell holder and slowly drill them into belt while
holding the belt with your left hand. it takes about 7 minutes and
does not hurt your fingers. just go slow with the drill. works and
feeds fine for me