1919 A4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

the spring on the barrel latch, is it supposed to be in like that or putting pressure from the outside?????

reason being after 7-8 shots it unlatches but nothings worn out.

just want to be sure before i start beating things apart.

on a even non-fun note, i just might rebuild my remote trigger today. it's been laying in pieces for months . :D

·
Registered
238 Posts
It looks normal... there is tension to spring the latch up when releasing... on a side note, you have the original latch, with the groove for the Indirect Fire sight.. Nice! Most of the tripods seen on the market today and from IMA have a rounded smooth contour with no dovetail for the indirect sight, most likely being repro's.

·
Registered
4,862 Posts
Slugcatcher, Maybe you could put some thin foam tape on the underside of the latch where it contacts the barrel shroud and it would add a bit more pressure to the latch? Just an idea.
CaptMax

·
Registered
112 Posts
Can you post a pic of the latch side?

·
Registered
4,704 Posts
Does the latch lever have sufficient travel to fully lock up. If it's 'only just' closing,(Barely past straight up and down) you may need to remove a tiny bit from the underside where it wont show. That type of lever latch needs to go well past the 'center of balance' to fully lock.

That's not my experience for that gun. Just that type of lever lock device. They all operate on the same principle.
It has to go just a bit past center to work right.

·
Registered
4,862 Posts
Looks like that "hoop" should be seated deeper into the latch, try to see if you can grind a bit on the latch so it sets deeper.
Yes it should go more than halfway when closed, mine did.
CaptMax

·
Registered
4,862 Posts
In that case you could try ob-longing the hoop so it was shorter and would exert more pressure when latched.
CaptMax

·
Registered
112 Posts
Looks bent towards the latch side.

·
Registered
4,862 Posts
Maybe just slightly, but I still think I would try making the loop more oblong first.
Last thing you want is a broken mount.
CaptMax

·
Registered
196 Posts
Latch on Madsen Tripod

I have a Madsen Tripod that I picked up years ago in Germany. I got it from the son of a WWII German Army Veteran who had passed away. I believe he had the gun as well but he would not let me know, at any rate the tripod is complete including the working remote trigger and two carrying straps that are German made. I had the same problem with the latch opening when I tried to shoot gun (MidWest Metals Semi-Auto conversion). What I discovered is that the loop on the latch should be a bit bent towards the mount. It works now and is one of my favorite guns and mounts to shoot. Somewhere I set my battery charger for the camera down and cannot find it so I cannot take a photograph of the loop right now. I will try with the iPhone and see what I can come up with. Shoot me an email and I will send you what I have in my iPhone files on the tripod. This is an all original mount that has never been taken apart. Harry

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
I have a Madsen Tripod that I picked up years ago in Germany. I got it from the son of a WWII German Army Veteran who had passed away. I believe he had the gun as well but he would not let me know, at any rate the tripod is complete including the working remote trigger and two carrying straps that are German made. I had the same problem with the latch opening when I tried to shoot gun (MidWest Metals Semi-Auto conversion). What I discovered is that the loop on the latch should be a bit bent towards the mount. It works now and is one of my favorite guns and mounts to shoot. Somewhere I set my battery charger for the camera down and cannot find it so I cannot take a photograph of the loop right now. I will try with the iPhone and see what I can come up with. Shoot me an email and I will send you what I have in my iPhone files on the tripod. This is an all original mount that has never been taken apart. Harry
:needpics: PURTY PLEASE!!!!

·
Registered
196 Posts
Photographs

One day I will be able to get the photographs to print onto this forum, I try to post and they never seem to make it. Here is another attempt. Harry /Users/harryconnors/Pictures/iPhoto Library.photolibrary/Previews/2014/10/24/20141024-174257/%6aBKL01TG6j6613PTNgyA/IMG_0368.JPG

1 - 20 of 24 Posts