1919 A4 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
6,355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Crossbows generally are not very quiet, compared to vertical bows. CB caps and even BB caps now seem to all have powder in them, not 'just' the primer, as I remember them being. More noisy than a can maybe, which requires a tax stamp, and the noise of a s/a pistol action reciprocating can draw attention even with a can. Leg traps are probably illegal in many area, and capture traps are too obvious in an urban area. Overfeeding with high fat foods (i.e., butter) is slow and questionable in effectiveness, poison and blood thinners more-than-likely not advisable for outside use -- don't wanna poison the bald eagles. What's a good answer other than living with overpopulation of a native or non-native species destroying the under-story and the regeneration of the forests? Birth control and sterilization are expensive and quite ineffective in the short/long run, sharpshooters, bow-hunters and 'game management' are opposed by liberal Bambi lovers not realizing the damage and dangers (e.g., Lyme disease) of uncontrolled wildlife. What "can" and/or "should" be done?

Carry On!
Gary
><>

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
What is the nature of the pest? Plaster of Paris and Oatmeal works well, as does a flying dragon pellet rifle. My pellet rifle has a can on the end, and I keep a copy of the court ruling where airgun silencers were ruled legal, just in case.

·
Registered
283 Posts
CCI CB Long rounds out of a long barreled rifle work quite well. My buddy found an old single shot 22 rifle with a really long barrel and the thing hardly makes a noticeable sound when fired.

How quite do you need to be when dispatching the vermin?

·
Registered
1,130 Posts

·
Registered
3,202 Posts

·
Registered
3,202 Posts
My pellet rifle has a can on the end, and I keep a copy of the court ruling where airgun silencers were ruled legal, just in case.
Wait, WHAT? Please provide reference. Is this a state specific thing? I ask because I have several full auto BB guns and they are too loud for use in my suburban neighborhood. If I could make a home made can for them.....oooohhhhh....that would be fun....:)

·
Registered
6,355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Yes, thanks, TiredIron -- I've heard of them, but did not know they are powder-less. And "Yes, I cannot find them" -- your link to Midway shows them out of stock. I think I last saw some at a gun show, something like $33/box of 50, :rofl: and the guy had only 3 or 4 boxes. I still have some of those little pointy "conical" bullet CB caps from UMAREX, also the CCI but they're too loud. Maybe I need to create a project that involves using a nail-gun driver for distraction. :violinist:

Many airguns make more noise than the quietest CB & BB caps I've used years ago. Of course, everyone knows (for real, it's true) a permanently affixed can on an AIRgun is legal.

Carry On!
Gary
><>"

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
They're fairly common at the Denver Gun Shows for $35-40 for a brick of 500. I have a couple of suppressors and find these to be pretty much as quiet just shooting them out of an old Winchester single shot rifle with no suppressor. My son and I have dispatched at least three dozen squirrels in his back yard right in the middle of Denver with no problem. Of course you have to be a decent shot....ass shooting squirrels isn't going to cut it. If you can't find some anywhere...let me know.

https://www.outdoorlimited.com/Aguila-22LR-Quiet-Colibri-Not-for-Semi-Auto-20-gr-p/1b222337.htm

Also be aware that there is Aquila Colibri (20gr at 375fps w/6FPE))....and Aquila Super Colibri (20gr at 500fps.W/11FPE)

Tirediron

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Wait, WHAT? Please provide reference. Is this a state specific thing? I ask because I have several full auto BB guns and they are too loud for use in my suburban neighborhood. If I could make a home made can for them.....oooohhhhh....that would be fun....:)
There are many Air Rifle Manufacturers today selling rifles with a permanently attached noise "suppressors or moderators". Terminology, intent, and NOT being removable are the Key Terminology. They DON'T call it a Silencer...its NOT attached to a Firearm....and its NOT REMOVABLE and able to be attached to a Firearm. They're also not quite as Quiet as you would think...as Air Rifles are inherently (because of their mechanics )...Noisy.

http://www.pyramydair.com/blog/2014/11/an-update-on-airgun-silencers/

And for the record...NFA Rules and Regs says "You legally can make or manufacture a Suppressor yourself if you wish". Its "ONE" of the things WE still can do after the 1986 change in NFA Rules....like making your own DD, SBS and SBR's. Its all about the paperwork....and the wait for approval.

TiredIron

·
Registered
3,202 Posts
There are many Air Rifle Manufacturers today selling rifles with a permanently attached noise "suppressors or moderators". Terminology, intent, and NOT being removable are the Key Terminology. They DON'T call it a Silencer...its NOT attached to a Firearm....and its NOT REMOVABLE and able to be attached to a Firearm. They're also not quite as Quiet as you would think...as Air Rifles are inherently (because of their mechanics )...Noisy.

http://www.pyramydair.com/blog/2014/11/an-update-on-airgun-silencers/

And for the record...NFA Rules and Regs says "You legally can make or manufacture a Suppressor yourself if you wish". Its "ONE" of the things WE still can do after the 1986 change in NFA Rules....like making your own DD, SBS and SBR's. Its all about the paperwork....and the wait for approval.

TiredIron
I dont get a warm and fuzzy after reading that. All it really tells me is that a certain manufacturer makes air rifles with internal baffles and they have not been declared verboten. I was hoping I could build a suppressor and just throw it on my Umarex, but I know its too good to be true. Ill avoid the trip to club fed and just walk my BB guns down the road to the radio towers and shoot empty soda cans there. (In a bag of course, because if someone here in suburban NY sees anyone walking down the street with anything that looks like a gun....oh brother, here comes the sirens...)

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
I dont get a warm and fuzzy after reading that. All it really tells me is that a certain manufacturer makes air rifles with internal baffles and they have not been declared verboten. I was hoping I could build a suppressor and just throw it on my Umarex, but I know its too good to be true. Ill avoid the trip to club fed and just walk my BB guns down the road to the radio towers and shoot empty soda cans there. (In a bag of course, because if someone here in suburban NY sees anyone walking down the street with anything that looks like a gun....oh brother, here comes the sirens...)
Soooooo....you're saying you are in doubt as to whether you can "legally" built a suppressor "with" the BATFE's knowledge without breaking the law. Am I correct...? What part of this are you in doubt of? Don't SHOOT the messenger!

http://www.cncguns.com/projects/22silencer.html

https://www.atf.gov/file/11281/download

Tirediron

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
to your original question, it depends on what you are trying to shoot, but I found 22 shorts in an older Remington 511/ 512 series bolt gun could be fired at pigeons in an apartment complex with impunity. only tell tale was dead pigeons. same bolt gun with a suppressor and the shorts were almost undetectable.

·
Registered
187 Posts
"Have a Heart" Live traps.

http://www.havahart.com/store/animal-traps

http://www.leevalley.com/en/garden/page.aspx?p=10299&cat=2,51555,10299

Mousetrap Architecture

I had a problem with raccoons at my old house. Ended up pulling 13 of them out of the trap and into the green bin.

Once you have the animal in the live trap, there's nothing saying it has to come out live.

Quiet options include:
-Rainwater barrel
-lake
-garage with door closed and a .22 CB in the eye socket

I won't speak to which I used, but it worked 13 times for me. Only one I didn't get was the one that was too big to fit into the trap.

NS

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
Ah, a different state and......

Now that we have not had snow all month and that it is warming up I've gone into any number of businesses without wearing a coat. Why is that of any interest? Because w/o a coat on it's considered open carry versus concealed carry. The only comment I've had was when meeting my wife in a bank was "your bodyguard is here". Otherwise no one has shown any interest, which is as it should be.
*I carry a smaller framed 9MM, still easily seen.
Scott, you are welcome to move west, maybe bring Russ with. You could then get other fun stuff too.

·
Registered
3,202 Posts
Now that we have not had snow all month and that it is warming up I've gone into any number of businesses without wearing a coat. Why is that of any interest? Because w/o a coat on it's considered open carry versus concealed carry. The only comment I've had was when meeting my wife in a bank was "your bodyguard is here". Otherwise no one has shown any interest, which is as it should be.
*I carry a smaller framed 9MM, still easily seen.
Scott, you are welcome to move west, maybe bring Russ with. You could then get other fun stuff too.
Thanks for the invite. Ive got 6 years until I can retire with a govt pension and leave this pathetic state behind. Until then all I can do is keep my head down.

·
Premium Member
6,935 Posts
Tom I will be out soon but you can keep the snow brother :D I doubt Scott would want me to tag along with him as I would be just another reminder of this state besides I would have to kidnap the blond from him and I should clarify the one with 4 legs as they are much easier to deal with.

·
Registered
6,355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
Starvingboy SEZ: "I'll just leave this here: http://caselaw.findlaw.com/us-1st-circuit/1527670.html Feel free to read over the court case and draw your own conclusions ...."

As I read, (I'm no lawyer either) The decision was made in 2010, for a violation occurring in 2004.

The law however currently permits a permanently mounted suppressor on an airgun as legal. (Check out your local Walmart shelves.)

From the case: "An investigation led authorities to inspect a package deposited by Crooker at a Massachusetts post office for interstate shipment on June 7, 2004.   The package proved to contain a large caliber airgun and a cylinder made of black metal with a hole running through it, threading that allowed attachment to the muzzle of the airgun and baffles inside. Further inquiry revealed that the device had been made for Crooker by another individual." Further search showed comments on internet posts by the suspect stating "I don't go by the rules," and "I currently have nitric acid and other chemicals traveling in the regular USPS mail illegally." (Last two quotes are actually paraphrases, from the decision.)

Further searches turned up stocks of firearms, chemicals, (illegal searches?) literature and other materiel deemed suspicious.

Further, from the case: "The conviction is reversed and the case remanded for the entry of a judgment of acquittal."

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
Starvingboy SEZ: "I'll just leave this here: http://caselaw.findlaw.com/us-1st-circuit/1527670.html Feel free to read over the court case and draw your own conclusions ...."

Further, from the case: "The conviction is reversed and the case remanded for the entry of a judgment of acquittal."
Since the suppressor was designed for an airgun, and not intended for a firearm, the case was reversed. In this court case, the suppressor was removeable. Not that intend to thumb my nose at the ATF any time soon...;)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts