1919 A4 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4,360 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up some radway green 1943 date .303 today, but I'm not sure if it should be considered collectible or shooter! It's is beautiful stuff,you would never know it was WW2 surplus if you didn't look at the head stamp,looks almost new, both nickel plated and copper projectiles,plus three SMLE stripper clips,not sure of the vintage,nice markings on them I just don't know what they mean.
I was thinking about breaking it down and popping the primers and reassembling it so I could list it on ebay,but I don't have dies so I'm not sure if it's worth the trouble,plus I don't have a .303 in the collection so I won't shoot it.
Is this ammo safe to shoot? I know it's corrosive and requires serious cleaning after shooting,but again is it worth the trouble?

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
The British .303 round has cordite sticks as the propellant. When I opened one up, of the same vintage as yours, it looked like they had placed the sticks in before the neck was formed. You would be better off to sell it to someone that will shoot or collect it as is. It is safe to shoot.

·
Registered
4,360 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Radway Green ammo

I pulled one down this afternoon and found the same thing,I have read that the British and others used Cordite but I never took the time to pull one down,they are packed quite tightly, with a paper plug over the sticks,I tapped the open case mouth on the counter top and the sticks came out fairly easy,just not sure if it's worth the trouble to break each one down,I may list some in the sales section and see if there is any interest.

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
.303 is in fact loaded with cordite before the case neck is swaged down. Ever try to get the cordite out of a case? Interesting puzzle.

·
Registered
3,086 Posts
I've got a few thousand rounds of mixed date WWII era Radway Green (RG) that I brought dirt cheap from Century many years ago. It can fail to fire, hang-fire, or shoot just fine. All of it generally fires reliably in my Bren but not in my Vickers, No 1 Mk 4, or P14. Because I can't find a consistently reliable Lot and its Berdan primed and cordite loaded, I consider it worth the projectile. But, I have also bought cases of belted WWII era RG .303 that fires every time. Test it to see what happens but be careful of prolonged hand-fires. BTW, you can get cordite out of the case with an inertia bullet puller. I recommend wearing safety glasses if you do this. Also, not all .303 is loaded with cordite but I believe all RG is. I have some 1937 Canadian (I think) dated .303 loaded with stick powder.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
I have several thousand rounds of this ammo on MKII Browning links. I don't think it is particularly collectible. It has been pretty reliable for me but I plan to shoot it up this summer since I am starting to see issues in the older ammo I have on hand. Worth more to me to shoot up than to pull down for the bullet. All I have seen uses the cordite, which is pretty much worthless except to let the kids play with and burn up.

·
Registered
4,360 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have a very small set of needle nose pliers that works great to pull the cordite out,once you get a couple the rest dump out,well worth the time for the money I have been getting for 5 dummy rounds on a stripper clip!

·
11,094 Posts
I have several thousand rounds of this ammo on MKII Browning links. I don't think it is particularly collectible. It has been pretty reliable for me but I plan to shoot it up this summer since I am starting to see issues in the older ammo I have on hand. Worth more to me to shoot up than to pull down for the bullet. All I have seen uses the cordite, which is pretty much worthless except to let the kids play with and burn up.

MG08, I think a lot of folks have been searching for those links over the years

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Yah - I know. We bought probably 15-20k of the ammo, had a couple of the MKII brownings. way more links than we could use, and we tossed a lot of them. Wish I had all of them today. I still have plenty for my gun, as does a buddy with a twin set. Not going to sell any since as you note they are now unobtanium. Somebody else must have bought the same ammo too- but back then, who knew semi auto and post samples would need the links ? I know where this pile of British stuff is though. Sadly, not in the US.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I’ve stopped using any of the WWII British surplus in my Bren & Vickers. The hangfires are way too unreliable and annoying to make shooting them any fun. I have about 750 rounds of the RG MkVIIIz that I’m slowly pulling the bullets and dumping the powder and selling the brass for scrap.

·
Registered
4,360 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I noticed when firing the primer they don't pop like our primers do,they sound more like escaping air,not sure if they is standard for a berdan primer or not,these are the only ones I have ever blew off like this!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts