1919 A4 Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally got the latest batch out for a range test today - four FN30s.

First, I had observed feed issued on an earlier FN30 build and removed the feed finger in the top cover to get it going. Not being positive this was the fix for all FN30s i only removed this finger on one of the four weapons. NO question the empty link tends to get caught between the rear cartridge stop and this finger on FN30. I'll remove them on the other three.

Two of the weapons ran like raped apes with the above fix. I do like it when a weapon purrs right out of the shop.

Not the case on the other two. Both weapons are not extracting the round out of the belt. Seeing brass shavings around the cartridge area. We think something is binding??? My son does the testing with me and he had to go so we didn't do any part swapping. Any suggestions for what to try here?

Also noticed one of the weapons had a larger diameter booster. That don't work. I forgot to check this as I thought the FN30s only came in .308. I'll get this corrected.

We also played with the new SG43 but its got a couple things to do before live fire. Didn't even get to the FN32. Too many weapons, too little time. Maybe I should spend less time building?? NOT.

Fun to time with my son.

Karl

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Got out to the range again today...

The SG43 never had a hiccup - nice when they run like that right out of the build.

On the FN30s, the quick correction of swapping top covers caused the extractor problems. One cover doesn't fit another weapon perfectly without a bit of tweaking. Anyway, put all the covers back with the correct weapon after removing the top cover feed finger and installing a custom spacer washer. Problem solved.

Two of the FN30s purred like kittens today. One of them was having a hiccup every few rounds. Got much better after 50 shots. Think it just needs a bit more breaking in.

One of the weapons is still a problem child. The semi trigger won't always reset. Its catching on something. needs a bit more shop time to figure it out. I had told my son he gets a free FN30 out of this batch - so I gave him the problem child.

We are still using the super cheap tracer projos that Pats had a while back. I guess some of them light - we caused a fire downrange. Luckily I had a tractor sprayer hooked up. It did get fairly hot before putting it out.

All in all another fun range day.

Karl

·
Registered
250 Posts
Are you using the side box FCG on the SG43 or something else ? Did you make your own semi auto sears on the FN?

Sent from my underground lair

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Are you using the side box FCG on the SG43 or something else ? Did you make your own semi auto sears on the FN?

Sent from my underground lair
SG-43 side box fire control is by Wild Horse Manufacturing.

The FNs are my own sears and fire control semi parts. Its an improvement on a prototype offer from Halo.

·
Registered
250 Posts
I'm still having light primer strikes on my SG43 w side box FCG. I had one out of battery when the charging handle didn't fully reset

·
Registered
885 Posts
Think it just needs a bit more breaking in.
That seems to be the case many times when all the parts are mismatched from different guns. Great job on bringing four guns back to life from the parts pile. I can only assume the pawl finger was meant for cloth belts as it does not work for **** with the metal links.

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
... I can only assume the pawl finger was meant for cloth belts as it does not work for **** with the metal links.

I'm behind on range testing. Still haven't checked out the Hedgehog FN32 build (he calls it a 38). I assume the same problem will happen here? Puzzling, these were aircraft gun, had to use links.

I see it as a rear cartridge stop design problem. Copy the 1919 and the issue will go away.

·
Registered
885 Posts
It is only the FN30 ground guns that need the finger removed. The aircraft guns have no issue. They do use a different rear cartridge stop design but I am not sure if that is the cause.

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It is only the FN30 ground guns that need the finger removed. The aircraft guns have no issue. They do use a different rear cartridge stop design but I am not sure if that is the cause.
Glad you told me this. I would have pulled the finger.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts