1919 A4 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have more information or experience with the Rare Breed forced reset trigger being marketed for the AR-15 for $380? Has it been approved by ATF? I am guessing it won't be long before this and the echo type triggers receive heavy focus especially once someone does something stupid with one. Looks like it works well.

·
Registered
221 Posts
I am honestly not sure how this isn't just a machine gun, the damn thing has an auto sear.........I mean to me it feels like that guy who pulled the sear and trigger out of a Sten and tried to say since there is no trigger it can't be a machine gun per the letter of the law. As I recall that didn't end well for him.

·
Registered
2,882 Posts
It is not an auto sear . First , the design does not even have a sear , ergo the lever can't release one . As the bolt comes back it cocks the hammer and the cocking of the hammer forces the trigger to move forward and engage the notch on the hammer's bottom rather than moving a sear . The part that you're calling an auto sear then rocks rearward at the top via spring pressure moving the bottom forward over a ledge on the trigger keeping the trigger from being pulled rearward . When the bolt closes it pivots the lever forward at the top . The lever does not release anything , it merely moves out of the way so that finger pressure can move the trigger rearward releasing the hammer again for the next shot .
.It does have the advantage of keeping you from working the trigger faster than the action can function and as you are moving your finger forward by force , kept forward by the locking lever , then released while your still pulling , it's fast and requires no " finger discipline " training .
It does look to be legal , but that doesn't mean it is wise . Like pistol braces , it may draw the ATF's or other's attention to it and may " require " "them " to " fix " this " legal loophole " .
Also my major concern is trigger slap from being forced forward at every shot . I can't shoot Glocks and similar because of safety bite .
Now I think binaries are great . I own 8 and 7 of them are in registered SBRs , so if the ATF sucks them in with a free license , no big deal from my POV . If they take them , well , I've had years of cheep ( less than a total cost of one FA ) fun that was well worth the ticket price paid , but I will fight them over it .
Chris

·
Registered
2,882 Posts
I was thinking last night that the pin the lever pivots on may be a snag as the drilling of the hole to mount it might be a no-no . They thought of this as it is a drop in type trigger assembly so no drilling required .
Chris

·
Registered
221 Posts
Okay I see what you are saying, about the lever not releasing anything and instead acting as a hammer block or really closer to an OOB safety.

·
Registered
2,882 Posts
I sent them an e-mail because on further study there appears not to be a " true " semi-auto position because there isn't a sear . It looks to be "safe" and a " series of semi-auto shots " .
Chris

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
Very interesting design.

While I have no issue with things like this, I would think they would get ATF letter confirming its semi auto first before selling.

·
Registered
703 Posts
Very interesting design.

While I have no issue with things like this, I would think they would get ATF letter confirming its semi auto first before selling.
its not a firearm so ATF approval not needed. Perhaps their strategy is to not ask at all

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,882 Posts
They responded quickly to me . It has a safe and a fire position on the safety . They said I'd have no trouble doing single taps , but I'm old , fat , and slow but not necessarily in that order .
Chris

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just FYI about binary triggers. I am not speaking for this FDT-15 trigger because it works a little different....
Sorry if I am being "Captain Obvious" here.

The ATF has officially ruled on binary type triggers. During the bump stock ban, the binary triggers were specifically mentioned as being LEGAL and by looking at the BATF's statement, it kind of made binary triggers almost sound protected.

Bump-Stock-Type Devices
Docket No. 2018R-22F; AG Order No.
RIN 1140-AA52

Page 83
The Department disagrees that other firearms or devices, such as rifles, shotguns,
and binary triggers, will be reclassified as machineguns under this rule. Although rifles
and shotguns are defined using the term "single pull of the trigger," 18 U.S.C. 921(a)(5),

·
Registered
892 Posts
Now we just need all these a-holes to stop snapping them all up and immediately remarking them for x3 to x4 the original price.... 🙄

1 - 12 of 12 Posts