1919 A4 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

First post here, I have been lurking long before I had a kit (about a year), just trying to learn more.

I have a USGI 30-06 kit and the rear sight bracket has the three holes for the rivets to attach it to the side plate, but it also has an additional three holes in the same pattern as the rivet holes.

The bracket is not currently attached to the left side plate, but all "6" of the holes on the bracket do match up to six holes on the side plate and if I remember correctly, the holes on the side plate are threaded.

Could someone advise what the extra set of holes are for?

Many thanks.

Update....................

Below are the pictures of my left side plate. As you can see they have drilled and threaded holes for the sight that mounts to the bracket. The holes are well done and not "Bubbaized".

This is what it looks like from the inside.

This is my new question, since I never will be able to locate the proper sight that mounts to the side and I don't want open holes, could I mount a bracket like the one labeled "A" below and be good to go? This will cover the holes in the plate so they can't be seen from the outside. The bracket labeled "B" is the one that came with the kit.

I paid a decent price for this 90% graded USGI 30-06 kit, should I consider these holes part of the 10% not up to snuff and let it go OR should I contact the dealer and see what he says?

·
Registered
169 Posts
welcome bodaver32.
As far as I've seen, the three holes in the bracket are threaded for an optics mount. I've never seen a USGI kit in person so this info may not be correct. No worries, someone will know for sure - you've come to the right place for help! Good luck with your build, it's almost as fun as shooting it;)
mcj600

·
PhD in Over-Engineering
12,207 Posts
The three outer holes are for rivets and should NOT be threaded in the sideplate, unless someone did that modification. The other three holes in the bracket are for an optical mount. The sideplate is not supposed to be drilled through for these. If yours is, that is unusual. Both sets are in a triangular pattern. Now, I have seen one or two sidplates that were converted to A4 from an earlier version so that bracket was added. Apparently those holes were drilled through on some examples. Shouldn't be on an original 1919 mfg.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am at work at the moment and don't have it to refer to. I will take some pictures tonight and see if I can post them.

·
PhD in Over-Engineering
12,207 Posts
Question, and it might seem odd, but is there a dove tail visible at the bottom edge of the left side plate? It would only be seen on the rear edge where the plate fits into the slot in the bottom plate. That would indicate that this was a 1917 that had the rear sight bracket added upong being converted to 1919A4. I have one like that and it had the bracket holes drilled through, but not threaded.

It would be mostly obscured, but visible from the rear. Though obviously you have your bottom plate still attached, you would see it there if my hunch is correct. See here:

Here is what the dovetail looks like sans bottom plate.

Failing this, my guess is still that someone got carried away when drilling the optic mount holes and it was done AFTER the bracket was riveted on the side plate. Remember, once you rivet the bracket and flush the rivets to the surface of the bracket, the three threaded holes are supposed to be there. It's just that the are usually not going through the side plate. You could fill the threaded side plate holes and the beast would look totally normal at that point.

·
Registered
901 Posts
That's a 1917 plate converted to a 1919. I would have the uncontrolable urge to build it as one and find another plate for that side. Don't send it back as it's utility as a 1917 plate is a semi rare find. If you do want to get rid of it i'll give you an izzy plate and some cash.

Thanks

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Lucky #13,

Yes my left side plate is exactly as the one you show. It is a 1917 left plate.

So now what? I wanted to build a USGI 30.06 gun. Are 1919a4 USGI left side plates able to be found?

I would hate to build this one if the 1917 plate is something I may want to work with later or pass on. But, if the correct side plate is hard to find, I will just build it as you describe with filling the holes. Or I could leave the holes and get the sight and mount on it. Is this the sight for it?

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
bodaver

i have a 1919a4 usgi left side plate i would swap you if you want

email, or pm for details

Mike

·
PhD in Over-Engineering
12,207 Posts
bodaver332- No, that is a great sight and I have one. It is commercially made by a friend of mine, Will at Hard Core Mfg. Do a search here on the water cooled and the 1917 sights. There are pics on one of the threads. I have to dash and can't look now.

Edit- Here ya go: http://www.1919a4.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1016

·
PhD in Over-Engineering
12,207 Posts
Yes, it mounts to those holes, but it is NOT one that is military issue. Honestly, I have not seen what the US military had for a mount. ORF has Israeli mounts that fit. But I have not seen so much as a picture of a US ground gun with an optic sight mounted. No idea what they had, but it was little used, that's for sure. Someone here will know, I expect.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts