1919 A4 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys, I know I could look this up, but I am limited with time today to search, so please bear with me..

On the 1919A4 Rear Sight Bracket, I know there are three rivets that hold it onto the LSP. To remove the bracket, I will drill out the rivets, but I was wondering if the inside of the LSP is countersunk 60 deg for the rivet head. Also, is the Bracket side on the outside countersunk too?

When I remove the Bracket, I want to fill the holes in the LSP with a rivet, smash flat, grind smooth so you can't see where the rivet holes were located. I will be mounting a Top Cover Rear Sight for the "ohioblacksheep" Water Cooled gun to make it appear more like the 1917. Thanks for the info guys!

·
Registered
2,916 Posts
Only the inside is countersunk. The 60 degree rivets fit perfectly

I cant remember for the life of me if the bracket is countersunk. But I know it must be. I know I riveted mine back.......... Yes, it is countersunk.

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
HottAK47,

Thanks for the information!! I thought that would be the case but was not sure. I think I have the rivets for the job and doing this will make a nice filler. I could have added weld to the hole, but the rivets will be better.

With the countrsunk Bracket, I will centerdrill, and then use a 60 deg. countersinking tool to remove and it should come off easy.

·
Registered
342 Posts
side bracket

Guys, something you might want to consider is, tapping the holes to 1/4x28 so you would have an option to put it back later, and install screws flush, to fill the holes. You could counter sink the inside holes, and make them flush, and grind the other side smooth. Anyway I'm doing the same thing to my gun and 'ohioblacksheep' told me about this, as an option, so that's what I did. Now I'm hoping someone comes up with a rear sight, I'm hearing rummors, something might happen. I finally got the back plate problem solved. Gun parts was a wash out, but Sarco came through. They sent a real nice plate assy.with wood grips, and I also got an extra set of dark red plastic handles, if I want to change over later. They also had the rivets for installing the medallion on the 1917 tri pod, and needles for the 1918 Browning belt loader, and a GI bolt spare bolt pouch, go figure.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts