1919 A4 Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
I wanna go shooting NOW!
3,251 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Problem:
1. Lost rear sight knob pin out of USGI 1919. Found the knob. Pin, detent, detent spring were lost.

2. Ordered replacement parts from Sarco: Knob, pin, detent, detent spring, rear sight screw (screw just for the hell of it). Whole mounting ball of wax JIC.

3. Knob and screw from Sarco does not have the pin holes drilled in either one.

4. Unfortunately, Sarco detent will not fit into the cavity of the USGI knob that we found so I can't just reinstall that knob w/ the Sarco pin. I could, but it wouldn't have the detent (click/click spring loaded) ball when you turn the knob.

I'm Catch 22'd. Called Sarco. Dave says the pins and knob were drilled during assembly of each gun and the holes would not line up if they were pre-drilled. I'm no machine head but that sounds like BS to me.

It's a rear sight screw with a pinned knob. How can that be? That is a tiny ass hole to drill through steel. I know Dave is the man for Sarco...but would like the forum feedback./suggestions. Hope I explained the problem clearly.

THX.:cool:

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
Irighti,

Thats not B.S. Thats how they made stuff like that. I've seen a few that were reworked and they drilled another hole to make it go together. You see how small the shank is, just think how the ones looked with two holes in them. Not much left....Lou

·
I wanna go shooting NOW!
3,251 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Never saw one with 2 holes drilled Lou. Knowing you from the forum I respect your advise, what do you suggest? The Sarco detent is a hollow cylinder shape with a point on one end. Just won't fit in the original knob (OD to big). Guess I'll have to open up the cavity on the original knob to fit the Sarco detent. Chit....what a hassle...
Know anyone who sells the hdwe ( - the sight itself) pre-drilled :confused:

Can't live w/ a jacked up rear sight on one of my twins.

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
This is not the answer your looking for, but if you don't want to make the modifications, give Dan a call at Angola armory and buy a complete Rear Sight Ass'y. for $19.95. Here is a link:http://www.angolaarmory.com/1919a4.html

By the way, Dave at Sarco is correct, I had to drill a hole when I replaced the knob too.

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
Hmmm,

Well this is where I usealy start digging in my accumalation of stuff to see what I can find. Your best bet would be to see if you can find anyone who could drill the little hole for you. Know any Tool Makers , Machinest, Good Gun Smith?...Lou

Hey Abwehr, I was going to suggest that too, got to wondering how well it would go over. Seems you type faster than I do. Your post wasn't there when I started this thing. Gees, I've got to start useing more than one finger...Lou

·
PhD in Over-Engineering
12,166 Posts
I vote for Abwehr's suggestion and get the set from Dan. You can use your -06 leaf, but the screw, knob and pin from the replacement so all lines up. Can't imagine why the detent doesn't fit, unless they sent you the wrong part. Seems odd.

Lou, try using the finger on your other hand too. You'll double your typing speed over night. Greatest single improvement you can make in so short a time. :D

·
Premium Member
2,503 Posts
You got the wrong part. I had the same thing happen to my home-build. I picked up a new knob and pin from OOW at the Creek. With the pin ready and waiting, I lined up the holes, and carefully drove the pin through with a brass hammer.

I don't buy the "drill them as they went" school of thought, even though I respect Lou's knowledge. Mil-Spec would have almost had to have called for uniformity of cross-fitting.

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
Lucky,

I use the other finger to point to the words in the Dictionary so I know how to spell them.:D ..If you've read any of my posts you know THAT doesn't work very well either:( ....Lou

·
Registered
169 Posts
ohioblacksheep said:
Irighti,

Thats not B.S. Thats how they made stuff like that. I've seen a few that were reworked and they drilled another hole to make it go together. You see how small the shank is, just think how the ones looked with two holes in them. Not much left....Lou
for sure - I have one with two holes in it. thought for sure it would break during re-assembly but suprisingly, it didn't :)

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
Sight Knob Drilling

I have a small tabletop drill press and here is what I did..... I clamped the knurled Knob into a vise, approximated the location where the hole was to be drilled, made sure it was CENTERED, and drilled thru the Knob.

When I inserted the Knob on the Shaft, I located where it should be pinned and clamped it in place. I used the same drill bit and used the previously drilled hole as a guide and drilled thru the shaft. I unchucked the bit from the hand drill, tapped it part way out and inserted the pin in the hole and tapped locking pin in with a brass hammer and the pin pushed the drill bit out. Then I used the Dremel Tool to flush up the pin. Absolutly perfect alignment and probably will never be removed. Easy job that took me about 10 min total.

·
Registered
345 Posts
The knob and shaft were drilled at assembly. You can tell this from observing many kits and trying to get the many knobs and shaft to attempt to interchange, they will not. The knob may have been predrilled, but the shaft I'm betting was not. I have one with two holes in it as well where they redrilled. Usually it's pretty easy to drill the shaft if you have a knob, you can clamp together and drill carefully.

Also, the blueprints I have seen for the trunnion also state on them that the trunnion rivets were drilled at assembly to ensure they matched up.

If you get replacements from TomT, the plunger is a ball bearing instead of the cylinder with tit.

·
Legendary Donor
1,671 Posts
windage screw kits

KMP has em. un drilled ( except for the knob. ) just put it togeatherand use the knob as guide, works great. i've got an original print, and it does not show the side hole. FYI. so they were probably drilled at assembly. anywho. $10.00 plus ship gets it. thanks. tomt:eek:

·
I wanna go shooting NOW!
3,251 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
THX for the feedback guys. I moved recently and most of my gun gear/tools are still packed. Gun room not completed yet.
I'll grab a rear sight set up from Dan @ Angola and see what happends.

·
Premium Member
2,589 Posts
I bought the package (knob and screw) from OOW. Their knob was drilled, the screw was not. Using the knob as a guide, a Ti coated 1/16 had no trouble drilling through the end of the windage screw. Easy fix.

MSG

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
they were drilled on assembly

ive seen a BUNCH of 1919 kits, and all of them had holes drilled through the screw that was off center - this doesnt come from precision machining, or on any other manufacturing process, this comes from drilling them and having a drill bit walk a bit - which tells me they were done with a handheld power drill

that being the case, unless you have the original screw, and the original knob that were a matched pair, he is correct that it wouldnt fit (without at least running a new bit through the hole and reaming the hole)

go with KMP all the way - tom T makes a FIRST RATE product, and i use them on all my stuff - its easy to drill the cross hole, and now you have a matched set and you dont have to worry about driving in a pin into an egged out hole

·
Registered
30 Posts
drill bits can walk/wander even when in a drill press. Especialy small ones. My scew had two holes, but it broke when I took it apart. I haven't been able to locate another in canada, if anyone has an extra I would pay your cost pluss a bit for it, most companys will not ship to canada from the usa anymore, otherwise I would go that rout.

·
Legendary Donor
1,671 Posts
windage screw kits

KMP has em and we don't drill em either. it's no big deal to drill the screw. use the knob as a guide. it is drilled. $15.00 plus ship. thanks. tomt:eek:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts