1919 A4 Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since MN is finally allowing suppressors what would you all recommend? I'm thinking something in .45 and 9mm for now.

·
Premium Member
3,032 Posts
If you want to start out with a less expensive option that is more fun than you can imagine, pick up a can for .22lr and lots of sub-sonic .22lr ammo. The only noise you will hear is the "click" of the bolt cycling. Threaded barrels for Ruger 10/22's are easy to find and install. My "gateway drug" was a Gemtech that is now called the GM-22. There are hours of cheap entertainment available with a suppressed .22 semi-auto and a barnyard flock of winged rats. You can literally explode five or six of them at a time before the flock figures out something just isn't right, lifts off, circles twice, and lands right back where they started.

Be warned, though. Cans are like 1919's. You can't stop at one. :tongue:

·
Premium Member
352 Posts
Octane 45 will cover the 45acp and 9mm
AAC sdn6 or Saker 7.62 cans are great on a 308 rem 700 and on the ar in 300blk or 5.56
Sparrow will cover the 22lr
Don't cheap out on the cans you will have for life, selling used cans sucks.

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
PPSH41 speaks the truth. Buy good cans and plan to keep them. Buy .30 cal cans even if for a .223. Brother has an Osprey .45 can, sweet. Pistol puffers in.22 are the cheapest, most fun thing you can imagine for less than $400.00. Oh, .22 pistol supressors become virtually valueless the instant you shoot it. New cans are pretty cheap. Have fun! J

·
Registered
6,355 Posts
Before jumping, I would suggest a bit of on-line research into places such as "suppressor comparisons." (For example, https://www.silencerforum.com/) You'll find big differences between companies and models. One wants to hear only the cycling of the action, at best. There have been many gun-magazine articles written, but I don't of any that were "conclusive." The manner of testing makes a big difference, so any manufacturer's/seller's opinions need be taken with a grain of salt. Let us know what you decide to get, and follow-up was a "report." Thanks.

Carry On!(
Gary
><>

·
Registered
7,891 Posts
I've only purchased one can from a manufacturer - .223/5.56 can from SRT ARMS. Works well with 22 rimfire too, but cannot open it to clean it. I did a Form 1 for the 30 Cal I use on my 300 BO / .308 M&P10 - it's whisper quiet with the BO Subsonic loads. :)

I agree start with a 22 can and just have some fun. After that decide on a good one and go with it. 9MM is OK out of a 45 - just not quite as quiet as a dedicated can for 9MM.

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
well i can tell you this.. my gemtech blackside 45 will more than likely need it's end cap tig welded this summer :D

i shoot 45,9mm,300blk and .22lr out of it.

made a splatter shield so the 22 doesnt trash it so bad.

my best opinion, read and read and go with what you can afford Dont skimp.

·
Registered
4,704 Posts
Don't mean to hijack, but how do they get away with a .22 endcap for a suppressor registered for a larger caliber? I really like the idea if it's truly legal! How does that work?
Thanks. :)

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
you could send it in and have the co. replace the end with a smaller diameter. caliber on the can dont mean crap , ATF's concern is the length.

·
Registered
166 Posts
The octane cans are great. Can't go wrong. Easy to
Clean and put back together. Overall one of my favorite pistol can...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 12 of 12 Posts