1919 A4 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are the chances of finding a reg. plate and what would the value be ?
I have the bug to get into a real deal 1919
And if I did get one can I do the build myself ?
I have built a semi 1919 and an M2HB so I do know what there is to putting one together.
Will the plate cost the same thing as a gun already built ?

·
Registered
5,129 Posts
Close to it. They do show up from time to time though.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Based on prices I've seen for reg. side plates ($12+K) and decent parts kits ($1K+/- for Israeli; more for original 30-06 G.I.), I have to say its about even. Of course you will know the round count through your gun if it has a new side plate. (Doubtful you'll know the round count on the kit, though.) I've seen complete transferable side plate guns with ask prices of around $15K, often coming with some accessories (M2 tripod, few belts, etc.) and they are not moving real fast. Of course there are those asking $18K to 20+K for transferable side plate guns but 1) those don't move very fast (unless you find a buyer that hasn't done his/her homework or has more money than . . . ) and 2) those are often getting into the price range of C&R guns.

Plates do show up from time to time but don't appear as plentiful as complete transferables.

As to the build, seems to me that if you've built a semi auto, a F A should be no problem.

One thing you did not ask was what sideplate had the most value (RAMO, DLO, CATCO, etc. etc.) There were many plate manufacturers and a lot of them were made in early May, 1986. Some were supposed to have the back 1"-2" (around the backplate slot) hardened per mid-war spec.s and so I suppose those are worth more, all other things the being the same. I'm sure material (4140, etc.) and quality of machine work/fidelity to sideplate drawings/spec.s would affect the value also.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys for the input if anyone knows of a plate that someone might be interested in selling I would be interested in trying to buy one.
As to the value of the different types I would not have a clue about that either, I would think that most if done to specs should be good to build with

where and how would I shop for a plate or gun already built it seems all of them on the GB are getting close to the 20k price range I understand they probably are not selling many at that price but don't know where else to base a price from ?

Thanks again

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
I understand they probably are not selling many at that price but don't know where else to base a price from?
It may not be perfect, but machinegunpriceguide.com will give you a general picture of where the world is. The trend line(s), I feel, are very accurate.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I should have bought one in 03, Oh well, will we be saying I should have bought one in 2015 10 years down the road ?
Thanks for the chart that does give an idea what the current or trending market is.

·
PhD in Over-Engineering
12,239 Posts
where and how would I shop for a plate or gun already built it seems all of them on the GB are getting close to the 20k price range I understand they probably are not selling many at that price but don't know where else to base a price from ?

Thanks again
Try subguns.com and sturmgewehr.com for starters. Also, if you can contact some NFA dealers to let them know you are looking, but that may pad the price with a commission.

·
12,509 Posts
I've not seen a 12k plate or gun for a while.

Plate mfg in order of value

DLO and ramo
Group industries - these were mostly m37 plates converted to 1919 by OOW I think
Catco (lowest and worst)

·
Registered
2,931 Posts
Many of the above makers sold the plates to other builders , so you don't know the quality of the build . Also , many years have come and gone , so most of the problems have been fixed by previous owners .
I bought a Catco A4 built by them . Spent years trying to get it to work right . Finally noticed the rear opening to the box was not a rectangle but instead the RSP looked longer than the LSP . Shimed up the inside to " more square " and she fired fine . Sent it off to Brian to have the reciever worked on , he ripped her apart and found the bottom plate was warped , nothing was wrong with either the RSP or LSP . She has never given me a studder now in years.
Anyway , I'd be more concerned about the individual gun's builder / parts kit / functioning than who made the plate .
My .02 , Chris

·
Registered
739 Posts
The plate is flat steel. Its not like this is an MG-34 receiver. Pretty much anything can be corrected by a decent builder.

·
Registered
2,175 Posts
I should have bought one in 03, Oh well, will we be saying I should have bought one in 2015 10 years down the road ?
Thanks for the chart that does give an idea what the current or trending market is.
I should have kept the one I bought in 1986. :)

·
Premium Member
1,303 Posts
Seems like a decent deal on the m37

BTW..the sideplate will not readily interchange with a 1919...but with some work its possible.

Odds are the M37 plate may have originated from a 1919...Somewhere on this forum is a great thread about the conversion process and Who did the majority of them. There were a stack of em converted from one configuration to the other.
Charging slot & trunion holes seem to be the major's iirc

M37 would be the cadilac anyway.....no need to change.

·
12,509 Posts
Duke, they were group industry m37 plates that OOW got approval for and converted to 1919.
Unless someone wants to correct me.

I think the only major difference was the width of the area where the belt/links come out as the m37 is right hand feed, or maybe left or right but at minimum right hand.

·
Registered
4,704 Posts
I hope I don't get ostracized and banned for life for saying this, but I think the M37 has a bigger cool factor than the 1919's.
:eek:

Fur be a flyin'.:D

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
BOY THEMS FIGHTING WORDS.... DRAW!!!! LOL hahaha
Just had to sitting here watching "Support Your Local Gunfighter" with James Garner.
When it comes to cool factor the M1917 takes it. And Rollin can make a 17 in dual feed.

I hope I don't get ostracized and banned for life for saying this, but I think the M37 has a bigger cool factor than the 1919's.
:eek:

Fur be a flyin'.:D

·
Premium Member
5,467 Posts
Duke, they were group industry m37 plates that OOW got approval for and converted to 1919.
Unless someone wants to correct me.

I think the only major difference was the width of the area where the belt/links come out as the m37 is right hand feed, or maybe left or right but at minimum right hand.
The M37 was reversible feed like a 50 BMG. Made it much more amenable for mounting in armored vehicles. It also had a few other features like a captive driving spring and a different back plate with a trigger lock and dismounting feature, different top cover and a retracting bar/handle a'la M1919A4E1.

·
PhD in Over-Engineering
12,239 Posts
For what it's worth, those Group Industries M37 plates were modified back to 1917A1/1919A4 spec by Craig Jordan, I think mainly for OOW. I believe Craig build many of those guns, but I don't know how many. Maybe all of them, maybe not. But those guns always have Craig's engraving, marked as M-1928 Model 37, as they were papered as M37 and that had to remain. Many of you have seen the engraving Craig has done for me and others here on the semi auto 1928 plates.

The M37 is greatly under appreciated, sadly. When one forum member made up a bunch of kits, with a mix of original and new made parts, he had a hard time finding buyers. These eventually got sold off to Allied Armament and TNW to build. But for a while, we all had the chance to buy very nice M37 kits. Hard to come by now! Oh, and that IS a great price on the M37, no doubt.

·
Registered
739 Posts
FWIW: some oral history. I talked to Mike (Group Industries guy) about this side plates once. I asked him why they were all M-37, and not 1919. He said something to the effect that "The M-37 is a cooler gun." He also made 50 cal side plates, BARs, Uzi receivers, Uzi bolts, some HK conversions, some Sten tubes, stainless M-16 lowers, a few M-2 carbines, and then whatever else struck his fancy.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts