1919 A4 Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,823 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have considered reloading 8MM, but the cost of tips is so high that it does not seem worthwhile. Romanian ammo sells for around $.50 a round, not re-loadable I realize. The only tips I have found cost $.35 each. I already have some brass and powder, but add the cost of a primer and tip, the cost is not worth the time and energy. Any sources I may have missed?

·
Registered
7,891 Posts
I have reloaded hunting rounds for some surplus rifles in 8MM, but never even considered mass loading for my 8MM 1919A4. I agree not very cost effective, unless you can come by s load of pulled projectiles from older unusable 8MM surplus.....besides, at the time we were getting Romy and Yugo for dirt cheap.....

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
Reloading for the 1919 isn't really practical as there is no real deals on 8mm projos. I DO reload the 8mm as I have a beautiful 98K that came out of the Russian salt mines about 2 decades ago. Gorgeous 1939, all matching with the cleaning rod, all intact markings, still a beautiful blue with virtually no stock dents.

I also have some 60-odd cases of various surplus from back in the day when you could pick 8mm up for $35 a case delivered. I feed the 98K with projos from cracked neck Turk surplus and one lot of boxer primed British (?) brass someone was kind enough to shoot through his 1917 at an Ohio shoot and walk away from... some 1800-2000 rounds. I use some of the old IMR 4198 I still have lying around and the old girl shoots great.

But if I had to go out and buy new 8mm ammo, I certainly wouldn't be trying to feed the A4. You can certainly make some great reloads for an 8mm and god knows, I'm sitting on a lot of potential reloads with that Turk ammo.

·
Registered
1,823 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I am using 8MM as blasting ammo. I have an MG13, MG42, ZB26, and I am thinking of putting together my MG15 kit. It is way to expensive to shoot these. I have around 200 rounds of Romanian left I had bought years ago at $.08 around; wish I had had bought 10,000 rounds!!!!! I have some 30-06 brass that I can size to 8MM, and I have a bunch of surplus powder that I bought cheap that will work, so the biggest expense is tips.

what are you loading it up for??

·
Registered
1,823 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Cost effective is the name of the game. There is a local guy here that mass produces hardened lead bullets that seems to work quite well for him, but that is quite time consuming. I had thought for ordinary blasting, that is probably the only way to go. However, I am not sure if the bullets would hold up.

I have reloaded hunting rounds for some surplus rifles in 8MM, but never even considered mass loading for my 8MM 1919A4. I agree not very cost effective, unless you can come by s load of pulled projectiles from older unusable 8MM surplus.....besides, at the time we were getting Romy and Yugo for dirt cheap.....

·
Registered
1,823 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

·
Registered
743 Posts
$.20 might make it worthwhile. Thanks for all the input from everyone. I actually feel quite lucky that I can even ask questions anymore, unlike a lot of my school buddies!! I just turned 74 and can still go out to the range and pop off several hundreds rounds with no problem!!:):):)
I found my last order - was 2013 for 8mm 200 gr "overruns". Was 25 cents a bullet delivered.

·
Registered
1,823 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

·
Registered
1,823 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
If I cast 8MM, I would cast other calibers. I am retired in theory, so I have time, but I agree, bulk buying is the way to go!!!!

if you're not set up for casting 8mm, you might be better off buying bullets in bulk.

+ time.

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
i have 4-5 different .309-.312 bullets i cast for all my 30cal -303 stuff. I still have piles of fmj/commercial bullets for those ones too.

BUT 8mm is a sore spot which is why I've dropped most 8mm guns i had

You either buy new brass or convert 30-06 brass. :mad:
the right mould and load to get you around 2300-2350 FPS should operate most stuff if the gas is adjustable. Sized/lubed and a gas check would be sufficient.

One other theory Im playing with which is finding barrels/internals/springs and lightening them up just enough to where a load producing 1900-2000 FPS will operate the guns.
BUT then again, by the time you buy those extra parts and keep dinking around with them you could have bought more ammo.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts