1919 A4 Forums banner

Reloading economics

2K views 14 replies 12 participants last post by  soulreaper 
#1 ·
Guys, how much do you have to shoot (.308) before is becomes more economical to reload than to purchase ammo. Also wondering about what is the best way to start out. Thanks!

#2 ·
Economics of Reloading?

First to address the question of how many rounds do you need to reload to save money instead of buying new ammunition: You never will. First your time does have a value so unless you disregard this there is no hope. The next most basic response is ignore the cost of the reloading equipment, consider it shop tools or some other expense for now. This way you add up the cost of brass, primers, bullets and powder and divide by the number of rounds to obtain your per round cost. Is this cost less than the cost of purchasing new or surplus ammunition? If you are reloading "blaster as long as it goes bang it's good" ammunition with surplus powder and surplus bullets your cost per round will be cheaper than if you are reloading something like .338 Win Mag with Barnes bullets, and reloading .338 Win Mag is much cheaper than buying new ammunition. As time goes on if you spent $1000 on equipment you can average this into the cost per round to obtain more accurate numbers to derive a break even point.

#3 ·
More Ammo But More Time

I've heard it said that you will spend about the same amount of money overall but you will get to shoot alot more.

That pretty well proves out in my experience but all of the time spent reloading must be viewed as a recreational part of enjoying the sport. If you can't see it that way then it won't seem worth the effort.

#4 ·
The good thing about reloading is you can ( customize ) your rounds.
223 is a good example of this ,if you have a 1x9 or a 1x7or 8 twist the ammo for these rifles is very high and limited as to where to get it.
1x9 on a 69 gr JHP heavy wall loaded with Varget kicks booty.
45/70 reloading is the only way to come out ahead ,same with 45LC.
I look at it as my custom rounds , i enjoy the sport and the pride i feel that i made the rounds myself ,the way i want them.
A 1919 is a different matter ,but i am going to start playing with 308 in my M14SA.
HINT ! buy your 45/70 or 45/90 or what ever as bulk brass , the cases come long and you trim them to the caliber you want ,half the price of pre-made.

#5 ·
I have an old style RCBS Rockchucker press that I have been running for thirty years. It is still like new and I have loaded countless thousands of rounds of ammo. From 9mm to 30 06,,, Everything is relative to the time your re-loading in,,, I buy pulled bullets when I can get them reasonable,,, but the price always goes up. I bought processed brass from Scharch for $70 per k three years ago,,, now its around $150,, but when surplus ammo is hovering around $500 per K,,, well. I load most 7.62 for the M1A and the Rem 700. I shoot the surplus in the HK and the FAL. Saving as much as I can,,, shoot the good reloads slow like.
Also,,, re-loading is good for the soul, especially when the anti's talk about some new gun law they're contimplating,,,

#7 ·
Excluding the "time trap", reloading is a very financially sound practice.

I do not factor in my time reloading as its time that would be otherwise dedicated to other not so money saving activities. So, time aside, the benfits of reloading are huge.

Its a hobby and I spend my time enjoying my hobbies.

#8 ·
At today's ammo prices and looming elections, I'm debating entry cost into reloading myself. I know that my time is valuable, but that being said, I only work 8 out of 14 days, and have a good chunk of free time to spend on a hobby. The downside is that the wife just wouldn't understand more time in the garage!:D

Most of my ideas would center to 7.62x51, .300 WinMag, 5.56x45, and 9mm. It's varied, but that's what I'd be shooting. 8mm is sadly appearing to be a thing of the past in surplus for the belt-fed, so once it's gone, I'd likely go back to 308 and just reload for it.

Why am I posting this rambling thought? Probably because it'd be a good way to make it to the garage and have "Dave-Time" away from family to center myself. That reward would be worth it's weight in gold to me.

Like they say: "Knowledge is power". Knowing the art (I believe it IS an artform...) of reloading is one of those artforms that has not only relaxing traits, but COULD be a source of income at a future time!

#9 ·
I can reload 30-06 for about $.28 per round, I can buy Greek from CMP for about the same price. I still reload, because I like to. I definately don't save money reloading, but I have more ammo for the same money. My cost per round is lower than factory, but that is not counting my time.

#10 ·
Yeah,,, but when you get the Greek, you get to open those great tins,,, plus brass for re-loads too! :) Win, Win!

#11 ·
The downside is that the wife just wouldn't understand more time in the garage!:D
Spend some quality time with the wife, fer christsakes. Move the reloading bench to the living room.:D

#12 ·
its never more economical to reload yea sure at first it is but then the craving starts you call into work so you can stay home and reload you say i can stop when i want but you find your self spending all your money just to get a quick fix soon your so hooked you would trade your wife for some gun powder. i have seen it hapen all to many times upstanding men reduced to beging for primers in the streets others prostituitng them selves for once fire brass it's a slipery sloap i just wanted you to know what your geting into

#13 ·
One of my friends is into reloading. I was thinking of buying him a used press that's large enough for .50 BMG

That way he can reload for me, and the thing will pay for itsself in less than 300 rounds! :eek:

;)

#14 ·
Cost justfying reloading is a tricky think to do. Think of it more as a new hobby. Pre ammo spike it was cheaper to buy surplus for 308. Handloading cast bullets for handguns is much cheaper than buying factory. I just bought some cast bullets from Moyers in PA. Have not loaded them, but he puts them in a flat rate USPS box and it's only something like $9.00. I got 1500 9mm, 50 45/70 300's and 50 45/70 500's and he put them into one flat rate box. Not too often you can mail 35# for under ten bucks.

So anyway, reloading is fun pratical science if you follow the books closely. For plinking mil-surplus, it is hard to load the volume for only a few cents per round savings which really puts the reloading equipment burden out a few thousand rounds.

#15 ·
at first you do it for the price but you see the accracy you get and tend to buy more expensive bullets and aditional equipment to get more accuracy, now belt drivin is right this is a new hobby you get tons of entertainment out of it so that kinda justifies the price. if you can find a good deal on some brass or find a gun range were people just leav brass laying around reloading can be very cheap but realy the brass is the most expensive part. reloading will probably be the best investment you ever made maybe not in a monitary sense but the knowledg gained and the fun you have will jusify the means

forgive me i dont have spellcheck

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.