1919 A4 Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just wanted to mention something that really changed my reloading practices. I have been loading since my teens and was always satified with the results till I was convinsed by Ralph that I should get a case gage to check the actual size of the final results. I found that the shell holder against the bottom of the die is no guaranty of perfection. No wonder my 60 was going through cases so fast. They were sized .010 under specs. Now I use my gage religiously to reload for my 1919 and the case life has improved dramatically. If you are not using a case gage already I encourage you to get one. You will be able to load for maximum safety and efficiency. Also the gage comes in handy for checking that ammo buy you are about to make.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Morning Wood said:
If you were sizing .010 to small, what could even be done about other than a new sizer die.
Simply back off the die using the gage to check the results. I now size to B/P high and my brass lasts much longer. The gun loves it that way. My gage tells me that the fired case is growing only .005.

·
Premium Member
6,504 Posts
Belt, are you referring to overall case length or neck diameter or base diameter? Thx.

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
Gauge

I have a friend that has one of these gauges he uses and he SWEARS by them for all his calibers. He bought his several years ago and I think he paid about $35-40 for each caliber, but they DO work. I have a small qauntity of the Indian .308 ammo and I checked all them with this gauge to make sure the cases were formed correctly and they all passed his gauge. I wish I could remember who made them, I would like to get one for myself in .308 and 8mm since these are my two most fired rounds.

Any of you guys have a contact? Possibly Brownells?????

·
Registered
6,920 Posts
.308 head space gauge

Abwehr said:
I have a friend that has one of these gauges he uses and he SWEARS by them for all his calibers. He bought his several years ago and I think he paid about $35-40 for each caliber, but they DO work. I have a small qauntity of the Indian .308 ammo and I checked all them with this gauge to make sure the cases were formed correctly and they all passed his gauge. I wish I could remember who made them, I would like to get one for myself in .308 and 8mm since these are my two most fired rounds.

Call,get on line w/MIDWAY....they have them in stock. Also in other rifle/pistol cals. I load 115 (thats not a typo) cals. and have gauges for most of 'em. Also teach all my reloading class's to get and use 'em. You won't regret getting a gauge for every cal. you load.....Midway #(800)243-3220

·
Premium Member
6,504 Posts

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
I am not sure what the gauge is called, but I will try to find out tomorrow. My buddy at work is leaving the office now and I am still working out here on the "Left Coast". I will check with him in the morning and find out the exact name. I remember that it works like a micrometer with the barrel rotating.

Unfortunantly, I can't access the Midway website from my office computer because it is firewalled. I will try to look at it tonight if I can get to it.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
loboslanding said:
Belt, are you referring to overall case length or neck diameter or base diameter? Thx.
The gage checks the cartridge headspace length and the overall case length. I even have one for 50BMG. 50's are really hard on brass. With the case gage I can control the sizing process and improve on case life.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Abwehr said:

Wilson is the most popular producer. They can also be had from Dillon Precision.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

·
BeltFed GURU
4,321 Posts
hangfire
i belive it is the other way around NATO is 62,000 cup WIN 308 is around 50,000 cup and it isn`t PSI it is measured in Copper Units Pressure CUP

·
Registered
29 Posts
No 7.62 has the lower max pressure and .308 win is higher. Cup's are a military
rating. Also 7.62 milspec brass is thicker than .308.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Thanks 123, that is a VERY good read. I think all of us should read it.

B

1 - 18 of 18 Posts