1919 A4 Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4,565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have reloaded a lot of 30 carbine in the past and never had a problem, I never bothered to even check the length, and I never had any problems, but recently I picked up a 600 round batch of brass, so on a hunch I measured a couple of the cases,they varied widely from under the trim to length to over 1.296, so I looked up online suggestions, again they vary widely, some guys say you have to trim them all back to the minimum to some that never trim them, so I measured some to 1.294 and reloaded them, took them in the house and tried to chamber them, they all worked fine,so I took them to a friends house and tried them in his carbine,again all chambered fine, so that is what I used for a max length, anything over that I trim down. I finally got a break in the weather so I met my friend our at the range so we could put the short case rounds up against the long case rounds, while both shot OK the longer case rounds actually grouped a little tighter, at 50 yards the trimmed rounds grouped at about 9 inches,the longer cases were only 5 inches, both of our guns shot almost exactly the same groups,only my group strung out horizontally and his vertically but both were about 5 inches. I always wondered how a round that head spaces on the case mouth could attain the same results with short or long cases!
I was told that the chambers vary on these guns but I only had the two to check, I would be interested in knowing just how long of a case some of you other owners have used.

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
I always trim carbine brass to 1.285 and never have a problem with it. I know case length is pretty critical because the case headspaces on the case mouth, so too short and the case might not engage the extractor; too long and it may not chamber completely.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts