1919 A4 Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I loaded up some of my recently pulled tracers and headed to the range today. I was shooting at 90 yards or so and not all of them lit up. The copper cap was cleaned as was mentioned in a previous thread. I have read that the tracers don't light right away was 90 yards to close? Any one with some experience reloading tracers I could use some help. Is there anyway to get them to light sooner as I usually cant shoot much farther out then 100 yards with tracers. Maybe I had some duds? The load I was using:
30-06, 145-147 grain bullet, 47.5 gr IMR 4895, OAL 2.33 I think. It was the same as my HXP 30-06.
Thanks,
Brad

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
They usually light (are visible) about 75+ yards away for me when I have used them. I don't use them often though because they can start grass fires. Not all of them light though. Your range is probably just too short for them.

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
Tracers w copper seals

The tracers with the copper seal are "delay" tracers meaning they are designed not to light right away. Remember in combat tracers work both ways. Also these were sold off because the lots of ammo no longer passed the testing for correct functioning. There may still be some of the older plain base tracers available from time to time, these have a powdery grey/white base. Again not all of these will light either. 223 tracers have a high failure rate if you try them. The 308's can be used for 762x39, 308, 30-06, 7.7 Jap, 303 Brit, 762x54R, and 765 Argentine.

·
Registered
847 Posts
Well I loaded up some of my recently pulled tracers and headed to the range today. I was shooting at 90 yards or so and not all of them lit up. The copper cap was cleaned as was mentioned in a previous thread. I have read that the tracers don't light right away was 90 yards to close? Any one with some experience reloading tracers I could use some help. Is there anyway to get them to light sooner as I usually cant shoot much farther out then 100 yards with tracers. Maybe I had some duds? The load I was using:
30-06, 145-147 grain bullet, 47.5 gr IMR 4895, OAL 2.33 I think. It was the same as my HXP 30-06.
Thanks,
Brad
You can carefully poke a small hole in the back of the copper seal on these projectiles. I have been doing it for years and they will light out of the barrel. But be very careful so as not to ignighte them while making a small hole with a pointed punch them.

Good Luck

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys, just wanted to make sure I wasn't doing anything wrong. On some of the rounds the copper cup was broken, I am guessing those are the rounds that lit almost right away. The other rounds seemed to light right before impact, on impact, or not at all. So I guess the yardage I was shooting at was in a grey area for lighting off.
It seemed at Knob Creek during the night shoot the tracer fire seemed to be lighting off real close to the firingline. I guess I'll pin punch the next batch and see how that works.

·
Registered
2,916 Posts
You can carefully poke a small hole in the back of the copper seal on these projectiles. I have been doing it for years and they will light out of the barrel. But be very careful so as not to ignighte them while making a small hole with a pointed punch them.

Good Luck
Any tips on just how to "be careful?" Real sharp punch? Real sharp brass punch? Don't hit it with a hammer? Wear gloves and a face shield? Get your wife to do it?
Also, have you ever personaly had one ignite? If so, do you want to talk about it?

·
Registered
847 Posts
Any tips on just how to "be careful?" Real sharp punch? Real sharp brass punch? Don't hit it with a hammer? Wear gloves and a face shield? Get your wife to do it?
Also, have you ever personaly had one ignite? If so, do you want to talk about it?
Careful is have some safety gear such as Gloves, Eye Protection. The reason I say this is that I know somebody that was punching them by hand in his living room, and for what ever reason, it went off. Burned his fingers, burned a hole in the carpet. So I have a Jig that I made to hold a .30 cal tracer cartridge. Its made out of aluminum. I clamp it to the fence on my drill press. The projectile is inserted nose down, and sharpened old drill is used as a punch. A stop is set so the punch isn't too deep, and after all this NO I have never had one go off.

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
I haven't had one go off on the bench, but I did shoot one into my basement wall that lit. Looked like someone had stuck a road flare in the hole in the wall. I'm sure it would cause problems in your hand.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts