1919 A4 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need to remove dummy right side plate from a 1919. Will be replacing with a semi plate from Halo. What is best way to remove the rivets? What size drill bit should be used for the new rivets.? The rivets are a set from Sarco.

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
My method has always been using an angle grinder and slowly removing the rivet heads. Then center punching them to mark for a 5/8 drill bit. Drill approx halfway through and punch out with a 5 pound sledge

·
Registered
4,704 Posts
My method has always been using an angle grinder and slowly removing the rivet heads. Then center punching them to mark for a 5/8 drill bit. Drill approx halfway through and punch out with a 5 pound sledge
That has to be a typo.:eek::confused:

·
Registered
7,837 Posts
Yes sorry meant 5/32

I was trying to remember while in the office. Just walked to my car and happen to have a couple spare bits in the trunk.
Yeah - I think we all knew what you meant, but no one passes up a chance to use an emotion icon. :rofl:

·
Premium Member
6,063 Posts
Need to remove dummy right side plate from a 1919. Will be replacing with a semi plate from Halo. What is best way to remove the rivets? What size drill bit should be used for the new rivets.? The rivets are a set from Sarco.
First off who built it? if it has an Inland side plate on it then it was probably an IMA gun and they used drive screws so you can just grab them with a set of pliers and unscrew them but if they are in fact rivets then use the method as described above just use the right sized drill bit :tongue:

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
I use a center punch to get a detent right in the center of the rivet. Then a center drill with a pilot just a bit smaller than the rivet diameter. The head will snap off when you are almost through and you have a rivet almost drilled out. Put a punch in the hole and whack with a hammer - pops right out.

Karl

·
Registered
5,117 Posts
Keep in mind if its the IMA drive rivets they will have opened the holes up a bit and you should ask MSG for a set of his larger diameter rivets to re do them. And those drive rivets are not as easy to remove as Toolman would have you believe LOL.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Right plate

It's an Israeli kit put together by a gunsmith. I understand grinding the rivet heads or center drilling them but do you mean drift pinning the rivets thru the MG body once the right side plate is removed?

·
Registered
4,704 Posts
It's an Israeli kit put together by a gunsmith. I understand grinding the rivet heads or center drilling them but do you mean drift pinning the rivets thru the MG body once the right side plate is removed?
'Drift punch', not pin. Different animals with different uses.;)
ALL the rivets are removed, THEN the plate comes off.
Other than that, I believe that is exactly correct, but for trunnion rivets only, as they are the only rivets that go all the way through.
For the rest of the rivets;
After the heads have been drilled through their centers to just past flush with the surface of the bottom plate, the remainder should be punched right in and through. Remember, these rivets don't go all the way through the receiver from one side of the box to the other. After drilling, even if the head don't pop right off, there's only less than a half inch of rivet shaft material counting the beveled part to deal with. Shouldn't take more than one or two sharp whacks to knock them out.

·
PhD in Over-Engineering
12,236 Posts
Or you could do what a couple of builders out there do- just weld the rivets in, like one maker did to a transferable RIA 1917A1 I am rebuilding! :eek: :help:

·
Registered
4,704 Posts
Or you could do what a couple of builders out there do- just weld the rivets in, like one maker did to a transferable RIA 1917A1 I am rebuilding! :eek: :help:
YIKES!! That gotta be some tough drilling. Depending on the filler, even annealing don't help much sometimes.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts