1919 A4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I am brand new to this forum. I am starting to save up to buy the parts necessary to build my own semi-auto 1919A4. Of course, in the meantime I am happy to do research and convince myself that I need tons of extras. :)

The first thing I know I am going to want is a crank fire unit. The two main ones I see are Emory's and ohioblacksheep's. Both designs seem to have their proponents and both builders seem to be knowledgeable, friendly, and stand behind their products. Could any of you out there who have used both tell me what you thought of the differences?

It seems like Emory's are more widely used and everyone raves about them. That is a big plus. One of my hesitations with an Emory unit is that I know I want a crank fire before I will be able to afford spade grips, and it seems like you need a different unit if you get spade grips, and may even have to use his version of spade grips. I also like the look of the ohioblacksheep version a little better (with it installed the gun looks more original to me at least). The ohioblacksheep version, though, seems to be capable of only about 400RPM instead of 470-500RPM. Everyone also seems to say the Emory unit is very smooth once you are used to it, but I just don't find many opinions from users of the ohioblacksheep version.

Anyhow, thanks for any insight any of you can offer!

Josh

·
Registered
20 Posts
Emory does a great job! Very nice fit and fininsh. I have his 6 lobe spade grip unit it looks great and runs Smooth. He is great to deal with, very informative & will let you know when it is sent out.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I've heard good about both but one thing I can tell you about my Emory crank is that I've never had a problem with it. It's built like a tank and has held up great after thousands of rounds. Emory is a genius.

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
If a company was making Emory's crankfire it would be alot more expensive. His attention to quality and workmanship is excellent! It works flawlessly and it is a piece of art! Having said all that I think he hurt his hand and has not been able to do anything so your only option would be to get a used one or wait to see if he makes them again.

·
BeltFed GURU
4,322 Posts
the black sheep crank is 3 lobe very compact works equally well with the pistol grip/and butstock or spades ya just have to crank twice as fast that is all, and it doesn`t block the trigger ,it is so simple no adjustment nesscary though you do have to drill one small hole in the bottom plate and he provides a jig for that they both have thier place in the market i happen to like the black sheep :D

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
Cranks

I have both Emory's and "Ohioblacksheep's" Cranks. They both work as stated, they both have fine workmanship, they both work great. To me, the main difference (besides the number of Lobes) is the size of each unit. Emory's is much larger and mounts to the top rear of the gun. Lou's crank mounts under the rear of the gun. I did not mind drilling the extra hole in the bottom plate to mount Lou's crank.

The both do what they say will do,and have quality workmanship, so the decision is which one do you like better! Also, there is a price difference in the two and this could factor into your decision. Either one you pick will be good.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks, everyone.

Abwehr or belt fed frog,
How high of a rate of fire are you comfortably able to get with your ohioblacksheep crank once you are used to it?

Thanks again,
Josh

·
BeltFed GURU
4,322 Posts
i can easly get two cranks per second because the handle is small radial diameter and that is equal to about 370 rpm if i push i can get 3 and that is equal to 540 rpm so at two per second that is a 200 rnd belt in 30 seconds more than effective and expensive :D

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
Rate of Fire

I am getting about the same rate of fire as "belt fed frog" is getting. With either crank, you have to get in the rythem of rotating the handle. You can actually rotate them too fast, and slow down the rate of fire. The best is a good even rotating motion and you will get at or near the FA rate of fire! I really like my "ohioblacksheep" crank.

·
Registered
2,967 Posts
i also have a twin setup with emory crankfires,thing sounds like a mac10 in .308,also have 1 of his spade units on a AA setup. these WILL out last the gun.also one of my customers has one of the few .50 cranks by emory and it is really awesome,unf#$%$n believable...... as said before if another co. was making them they would be double the price emory is asking for new units!!they are well worth the cost. the fun you will have is priceless......

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
you can't go wrong with either, I have Emory's crank fire unit, and it really is a very well engineering and made unit, when attached to the back plate it looks like it's part of gun, and not a add on part......the other thing is that Emory's crank has a "dead man safety".....meaning that you have to physically push in the handle to engage a slot, to turn and fire it, then when you finish and let go of the handle, the handle disengages..........now this not a substitute for following established safety procedures with the 1919......but it is a very nice feature to have, in case you have a loaded belt, and accidently nudge the handle a round doesn't go shooting out that you didn't intend to.....

with Lou's you will have to drill a hole in the bottom plate, Emory attaches to the backplate with no need to modify anything on the gun....but if you don't mind drilling a hole in your bottom plate, then it's a moot point.

it's basically up to you on which you find more appealing.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks again, everyone. It certainly looks like I cannot go wrong either way. I appreciate all the input.

Josh

·
Premium Member
6,504 Posts
Both cranks serve the same end purpose, but are totally different animals so there really is no legit way to compare them. A horse and a camel can both haul a lot of cargo and the horse can move faster, but by the time you factor in water stops for the horse the camel will probably arrive at the same time...so which is the better animal? I hope that clears things up, LOL :).

I've got one of Emory's cranks on my 1919 and one on my '28 water cooled and one of Lou's on my M2 50 cal. I'm happy with all of them and I doubt I'll outlive either brand.

Emory's runs so fast that I can easily "overcrank" the guns so you have plenty of latitude to find your guns "cyclic groove". Lou's crank on the M2 went thru a 30 round belt in about 4 seconds so I don't think you'll have trouble with cyclic rate on a 1919 if you choose his.

You won't go wrong either way. I can say one thing that will bring little to no debate, both Emory and Lou are fine folk and are dedicated to making the best product possible and stand behind their work without question.

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
Cranks

Lobo,

I think you have stated the true facts of both units! As I stated before, it really boils down to the one you think you will like best. They both do the job!!!

·
Registered
98 Posts
Well we have two of the Emory Crankfires,

The first one is a early model 6 lobe that is just great, this unit is built to outlast me. The second unit is the new 6 lobe with the safety and the butterfly, that one is for Buttercups gun, again the hours to build this and the materal and workmanship shows. Being able to adjust for the differant trigger hights is a real plus with these units. Take a look on his website and look at the photos of the Crankfires and the quality and workmanship just jumps off the page. When we are ready for a third or a spadegrip which is next on our list I will turn to Emory.

Thumper & Buttercup

·
Registered
32 Posts
I have an Ambi Blacksheep crank.....Works 100%..solid as a rock. I like the compactness of it.....and mabe soon I will buy another and will be able to run a twin 30
:O

J.P.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts