1919 A4 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4,491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've bought a couple large rounds 90MM and 105 and the case mouth on both are belled out pretty bad,they are just for display but I would like to make them look a little better,plus the 3D printed projectiles I'm buying for them don't sit in the mouth very well,they fall all the way past the rifling ring.
Is there way to close them back up with out damaging them?

·
Registered
2,918 Posts
My first thought would be a wooden board with a hole cut in the center to the finished size , then a couple of cross holes drilled to compress the board , then cut through at the cross center of the resizing hole . Place over the neck and tighten . Could use the center section in the neck to help support it .
Chris

·
BeltFed GURU
4,411 Posts
Agree with Mr E anneal the band clamp idea is brilliant ,i was thinking along the lines of a metal ID tapered ring and a mallet , this i know will surefire work but requires a machine shop to make ...

·
Registered
4,491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have friends with a pretty well equipped shop,but they also have piles of stuff left over from decades of mining,they just might have a band clamp that big,or maybe some pallet banding,thanks for the ideas,now I just have to wait for the slow azz mail to deliver my money order then another couple weeks to get the shells here!

·
Registered
4,491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I talked this over with one of my friends from the rock shop that used to be a mine,he said they have a pile of large bronze bushings.4-8 inches so chances are we can find one that is close enough, so I can figure out what the inside of the shell need to be deduct the wall thickness and turn down the inside of the bushing and lube the hell out of it, plus they have a 50 ton hydraulic press to shove the bushing over the end of the case,I'll have to beat the bushing off but I'm not too worried about that!
The guy with the shell let me know that he received my MO order today and he is shipping by UPS so I should have it in a week,I'll be sure to take pictures of the process.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts