1919 A4 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,066 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have sent several responses to a question someone had and all have been blocked with a message that a moderator had to approve them. I have sent many such responses lately (and a long time before) and they were posted immediately. Is anyone else having this trouble. By the way the messages were posted several days ago and still do not show up. I Sent one today and got the same thing.

·
PhD in Over-Engineering
12,236 Posts
As a General Reminder, the Tech Forum specifically is set up to require moderator approval before posts will show publicly. Typically, we go many weeks, sometimes months, with no new posts in Tech. Then all of a sudden, some activity begins and I don't manage to keep up with it. My apologies to Armorer for not checking in here for a few days.

If anyone wants to follow up with their own input, I would suggest that we consider removing the approval requirement for posts here in Tech. I have yet to have an instance where it really accomplished anything. Most of what I do here that is of a corrective nature is merging double posts, or deleting same, when this kind of thing occurs. It just seems unnecessary.

·
Registered
3,066 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It does seem a little odd that the Tech Forum is the only site out of 30 forums that needs to have a moderator approval. What exactly are we afraid will be posted? Bad language, threatening posts, sexual related material or just incorrect information? Or is it just a bandwidth range thing? As far as duplicate posts it seems that if we go back a year or so we often find people asking the same questions and getting the same answers. It seems like a lot of work for the moderator for little results. But since I am not the moderator I can't speak for the possible benefits

·
PhD in Over-Engineering
12,236 Posts
I think if this forum was extremely active, and there was some obvious need for someone to moderate it in a fashion distinct from the rest, this system might make sense. But what happens in reality is this: No one posts here for long weeks at a time, especially when I am checking in daily. Then if I get lazy and don't look for a few days or a week, a whole batch of posts suddenly have appeared. I have been meaning to contact Rory and Richard to see if they agree with ending the mod approval requirement. At things are now, I see no real value in it. If something bad gets posted, it's easy to remove it.

·
Premium Member
5,467 Posts
I don't know about the other moderators but I don't think we get any notification that a post or attachments are awaiting approval. As far as I'm concerned that forum doesn't need to be moderated. I approved the attachment for Armorer's picture of the carbon removal tool after i found it.

·
PhD in Over-Engineering
12,236 Posts
I don't know about the other moderators but I don't think we get any notification that a post or attachments are awaiting approval. As far as I'm concerned that forum doesn't need to be moderated. I approved the attachment for Armorer's picture of the carbon removal tool after i found it.
That's exactly right, no notice is sent when a post is awaiting. That at least would help, if that can be done. But Charlie, please feel free to approve any posts you run across here if I have not done so. I don't see this as my personal domain, and all that matters is that things get done for the members. Thanks for taking care of Armorer's pics.

·
Registered
5,117 Posts
Think the point had been to ensure only good reliable info was shared here, but the approval issue killed the forum and moved the traffic elsewhere on the board.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts