1919 A4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
904 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well back at it. I finished up the 45-70 Vickers Kit and now I’m back on tripods.
Everything is stripped, cleaned, tapped, threaded etc. Does anyone have a picture of what these are SUPPOSED to look like?
I’ve seen lots of fancy shmansy, and others that look like a paint bucked threw up on it.
Im really not sure which parts are supposed to be painted or hot blued.
2099E48E-C0FC-4B20-9917-F5BD6A4A5AFC.jpeg
B2414BD3-3C55-4937-906E-E354320AF165.jpeg
0515EA81-577C-48C6-8C87-3CFA9E9EC580.jpeg
899F28FE-7503-42FC-9E39-2E3B5D6BABA9.jpeg
7403193E-0A06-4135-95A0-9424C7D8052D.jpeg
8027B823-BF68-4461-8B90-26DA3FC9DDF7.jpeg
E2B7DAC3-4120-4F65-8DAA-54D0E6AA1B9A.jpeg

·
Premium Member
5,798 Posts
What's taking so long the thread is 21 hours old so you should have two of them complete by now? You must be slowing down in your old age.

Reactions: Lucky#13

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
Mike Duke says “sorry I took two hours to convert a Vickers to 50bmg. I used a .22 anm2 barrel as a guide and sleeved it with a 20mm Japanese Oerlikon. The feed block I machined from scratch. I welded the front of a M2HB bolt to a 11mm lock. Works great. Because of the size of the m2HB bolt section I had to remove both side plates, but the bottom plate and top cover keep it all together just fine. I’m not sure what this means having a FA gun with no side plates. ”

Now he’s getting back to the m35.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Mike Duke says “sorry I took two hours to convert a Vickers to 50bmg. I used a .22 anm2 barrel as a guide and sleeved it with a 20mm Japanese Oerlikon. The feed block I machined from scratch. I welded the front of a M2HB bolt to a 11mm lock. Works great. Because of the size of the m2HB bolt section I had to remove both side plates, but the bottom plate and top cover keep it all together just fine. I’m not sure what this means having a FA gun with no side plates. ”

Now he’s getting back to the m35.
LOL, he does put us all to shame...

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
Looks very nice. Enjoy. Also a nice low number stamped on the right side. What is that 57?

Stay Safe.

Later 42rocker

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
Mike Duke
You gave me a push. Got mine out and set the cradle next to a couple of other cradles that I'm working on. Lots of bad black paint that needs to be removed.
Always enjoy looking at your work. For that matter at my age I always enjoy watching others work. Sometimes I even do some.

Stay Safe

Later 42rocker

·
Premium Member
904 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Mike Duke
You gave me a push. Got mine out and set the cradle next to a couple of other cradles that I'm working on. Lots of bad black paint that needs to be removed.
Always enjoy looking at your work. For that matter at my age I always enjoy watching others work. Sometimes I even do some.

Stay Safe

Later 42rocker
Thanks man. It’s a lot of work but I think it’s fun. Glad I could help.

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
Mike Duke
Was talking with Lucky#13 last night about colors and finishes and we seemed to be of the thought of brass finished as brass and rest olive drab green. With review as to who made what. In my case cradle #411 Colt made and tripod #15120 made in Argentina. So commercial Colt colors for the early number Colt made and not sure on what Argentina did.

That said took a look at mine. Top / cradle I believe to be repainted in full. Several reasons, poorly done #1. Looks like the paint was removed and then spray painted olive green as quick as possible, right over the elevation clamping area. So if you release clamp and change elevation then you see a spot of bare steel. The elevation setting device was spray painted Black, all over everything. Every piece was locked solid with black paint. Took a few hours to strip off and break free.
Now interest thoughts on the tripod body and legs. Mine is Argentina, #15120, I think that the paint is old original drab olive green. Not a perfect match to the cradle. And important point on this. The three letters that are used to set the rear leg to seem to be three original different colors. Not something that I think would be done on a fast repaint. If interested in what the three different colors are, post and I'll check it out and post them.

What am I going to do??
Well against some thoughts. I going for a Parade Ground Bright Brass (as best as I can) on all brass. Look if I want a camo look then 5 minutes with grease and a can of spray paint and it will be battle line camo finish ready. Now try to reverse that in 5 minutes. Then try to match the rest of the steel areas with my current tripod green color. Now to the elevation setting device, Brass will be Brass and the pins, well I might think about a blue/black bluing if possible. Not sure on that any ideas anyone? I'm also listening.

Again Mike Duke Thanks for getting me going on this tripod again. Been working on other tripods and 1 to 1 house stuff. Toolman would have my house stuff done a week or two ago. Toolman slow down enjoy life some.

Stay Safe

Later 42rocker

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
Update
I listed a lower tripod body and legs number as #15120 That number is a raised cast in number. The normal style number that is stamped in else where is #101067. The 101 is a normal start of an Argentina number.
Cleaned my tripod some and set it up for the first time in a while Thanks again for the push.

Stay Safe

Later 42rocker

·
Premium Member
904 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I think, I’m going to do the same thing.
@42rocker if you need anything Blued, I do that. I will be Hot bluing all the handles and small parts. Let me know.

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
Update
I listed a lower tripod body and legs number as #15120 That number is a raised cast in number. The normal style number that is stamped in else where is #101067. The 101 is a normal start of an Argentina number.
Cleaned my tripod some and set it up for the first time in a while Thanks again for the push.

Stay Safe

Later 42rocker
I do not think 101 is the start of an Argentinian serial number. Argentinian numbers were 01.XXX

The highest Argentinian number I have seen is in the 225 range. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
Mike Duke
Thanks for the offer, I'll review.
Can't wait to see pics of this project finished. You always do good work.

redroth
Thanks for the correction. I need to get my head back into this stuff. I'm digging out 1917 and 1928 stuff today. Did a little yesterday but just started. Need a Frankie to dig out the back areas for me.

Lucky#13
Thanks for the info talks.

Toolman
Thanks for your work on getting those sites back up. Going to use that pinkers jig you sold me a few years ago sometime soon.

Stay Safe

Later 42rocker

1 - 20 of 20 Posts