1919 A4 Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After much help from several friends here, I reloaded about 20 rounds of 45-70 for my Trapdoor Springfield. 10 Blackpowder loaded with 64 grains of FFg, and 10 rounds loaded with 27 grains of H4198. 300 grain lead round nose bullets.

I loaded the BP round.....told my wife where the first aid kit in my truck was......and pulled the trigger......Boom...everything worked. I was happy. I fired off 7 rounds. Accuracy at 50 yards was dismal. I put up a standard NRA square target (what is that, 12x12, maybe a little bigger) and was on paper, but all over. :(:(:(

Then I punched the bore, cleaned the $hit out and moved on the the smokeless rounds.....7 rounds all withing a 2 inch group, all in the 10 ring.....:):):)

I LOVE the smoke from the BP load, maybe I need to fine tune that load a bit.

My ONLY concern with the H4198 loads is all the cases seemed to have carbon residue down the side of the case. No cracking, distortion or cases sticking, they just look like the got a little dirtier on one side than the other.

·
Registered
2,084 Posts

4198 loads, could it be with this load the brass isn't expanding at the case mouth completely sealing the cases as the brass expands? Looking at your cases with twelve o'clock as the top were the black marks always in the same location? Were you seating the bullets out far enough to engage the rifling?
As you progress into reloading for this type of rifle one school of thought is to seat out far enough to engage the rifling and reduce free bore jump. And of course another school doesn't agree....
You're learning to love reloading. Start scrounging for scrap lead, wait until you get into casting bullets. Mold designs, alloys, mold manufacturers, groove rings,bottom pour pots, ladle casting, pressure casting, lubes, gas checks....
Ya, it gets worse.

Simple solution: do what you want(safely of course)

·
BeltFed GURU
4,433 Posts
Residue on smokeless cases indicates not enough pressure to fully expand case in chamber . This is good and bad
the good is that it is a low pressure load , the bad is that all the stress is against the breech because the case is not gripping the chamber wall like it should and reducing the load on the breech to "normal" level .
Though accuracy is Good :D !

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
The rifle was designed to fire a 500gn bullet with 70 grains of bp behind it while the carbine shot a 405gn bullet. A load replicating either the rifle load for the rifle or carbine load for the carbine would gain you more accuracy among other things...

As for the blow by, it is most likely because of your light bullets. The bullets are not heavy enough to hold back enough pressure for the case to expand fully.

·
Registered
3,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The rifle was designed to fire a 500gn bullet with 70 grains of bp behind it while the carbine shot a 405gn bullet. A load replicating either the rifle load for the rifle or carbine load for the carbine would gain you more accuracy among other things...

As for the blow by, it is most likely because of your light bullets. The bullets are not heavy enough to hold back enough pressure for the case to expand fully.
I currently have a bunch more 300 grain bullets that Id like to shoot up before I invest on 405's. Will a slight increase in my powder charge help with the blowby and accuracy? (Im still WELL below working limits)

I really like the FFg blackpowder loads, but as I stated, at 50 yards I could barely keep it on paper. I was at 62 grains. Maybe bump it to 65 or 66?

The 4198 loads were plenty accurate, but when I was cleaning the gun yesterday Im pretty sure I found un-burned powder in the bbl too.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts