1919 A4 Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Posted this over at CMP as they have a dedicated section to this kind of rifle. Little did I know that it would snowball into what it is now. Those here who like or are into these rifles might want to take a look at the post & responses........might learn something or correct something. Get involved!!!!

PJH

http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=164095

·
Registered
3,065 Posts
I have a Rock Island 03 and it also has the serial number engraved on the bolt but it matches the receiver number which is in the 330,000 range. But I don't think it was ever a National Match rifle. It also came with the Lyman 48 rear sight. Some darn fool cut the stock down at some point but it now has an original type C stock and looks pretty good. The sling in the picture looks a lot thicker than the original 03 slings that I have and is probably a civilian copy. I have picked up leather slings at gun shows that while well made are so thick they are barely useable.Thicker and stronger is not always better.

I had no idea why the serial number was engraved on the bolt as this is the only 03 I have encountered with that being done. I was aware it was done with national match rifles but that by no means establishes this one as a match rifle. I was once told that only Springfield made 03s were made into match rifles. The barrel of this one is dated "RIA 9-18".

·
Registered
787 Posts
Wow. Very impressed with their knowledge and detail of each part. I will have to start checking out that forum as well. And get my o3's out of the safe

Thanks for posting
Wally

1 - 3 of 3 Posts