1919 A4 Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys, I did one of these a few years back and she turned out great.. Built a tripod and everything.. I had purchased two parts sets in a group buy,.. and now I want to build (assemble I should say) my other parts kit.. My question is,.. who still makes a nice plate?? I really don't want to deal with an FFL if I can get around it.. Not that I'm a criminal, (been through enough background checks lately) just didn't wanna deal with someone else and maybe save a few pennies..
And if the heat treating is that important, I would want one that is..

Any suggestions??

Stan

·
Registered
2,622 Posts
Hey Guys, I did one of these a few years back and she turned out great.. Built a tripod and everything.. I had purchased two parts sets in a group buy,.. and now I want to build (assemble I should say) my other parts kit.. My question is,.. who still makes a nice plate?? I really don't want to deal with an FFL if I can get around it.. Not that I'm a criminal, (been through enough background checks lately) just didn't wanna deal with someone else and maybe save a few pennies..
And if the heat treating is that important, I would want one that is..
Any suggestions??
Stan
Wait. How much money have you sunk into the pieces and parts you already have? $500 to $1000 not including the time you spent acquiring them? And you want to avoid spending "a few pennies"? Do you have the tools and skills to finish machining a partially completed RSP? If so, go that route. But if you are looking for a completed RSP, why would you want to skirt Uncle's rules to save a couple pennies and open yourself up to the wrath of BATFE plus the loss of your parts?

·
Registered
5,129 Posts
As Dan said, you seem interested in a complete yourself plate. If you have the tools and skills then you are good to go. Just look up the marking procedure of the home completed plate if you ever intend to part with it in your life span.

If you decide to go with a 100% plate HALO, and KMP produce IMOO the better plates and are nice people to deal with. The advantage there is there will be no issues transferring it down the road. Also if out and about and someone sees your toy and calls you in there will be a lot less questions about legalities and status of your rifle. Good luck

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok,.. not sure what I did,.. Its not about getting around any law. My friendly FFL wants $40 to $60 to hand me my part.. When I did the first one FFL wasn't a requirement.. You guys may not mind giving your money away but I don't like the middle man.. A 70% plate would work for me.. Sure I paid maybe $400 for my parts, but $60 is $60.. I thought that was part of DIY..
If not, why not just buy the gun? Then all you would have to do is open the box.

·
Registered
2,622 Posts
Ok,.. not sure what I did,.. Its not about getting around any law. My friendly FFL wants $40 to $60 to hand me my part.. When I did the first one FFL wasn't a requirement.. You guys may not mind giving your money away but I don't like the middle man.. A 70% plate would work for me.. Sure I paid maybe $400 for my parts, but $60 is $60.. I thought that was part of DIY..
If not, why not just buy the gun? Then all you would have to do is open the box.
All I can say is you should look for a different FFL as I charge $20 for a simple transfer. But, there is no FFL needed for a 70% plate.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
As Dan said, you seem interested in a complete yourself plate. If you have the tools and skills then you are good to go. Just look up the marking procedure of the home completed plate if you ever intend to part with it in your life span.

If you decide to go with a 100% plate HALO, and KMP produce IMOO the better plates and are nice people to deal with. The advantage there is there will be no issues transferring it down the road. Also if out and about and someone sees your toy and calls you in there will be a lot less questions about legalities and status of your rifle. Good luck
Thank you Gulf,.. Yes having a trade skill, I like doing things like this myself.. If I save here, I can spend it elsewhere.. Seems things have changed a bit since I was here last.. The last one I did was when the 80% plates were ok,. and the gun was good as long as you followed the guidelines.. In my lifetime I have only parted with one of my weapons, and I learned my lesson..
I guess I should have just asked who had 70% plates and let it go at that..

·
PhD in Over-Engineering
12,239 Posts
The good old days of 80% plates are pretty well gone. You have one offer above and that may be your answer. Or, as BFF and GSG stated, the KMP 70% plate is a good option, you just have to finish cutting the charging handle slot and link ejection port (feedway.) ATF came down hard on plates some years back. ORF is long gone, so is T&S, so KMP and Halo are your remaining major players. Though Lee Tool is still out there and OOW as well. Have not seen Lee Tools product, so I can offer no opinion, and OOW is great quality but with a proprietary denial island system.

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
Stan,

I have to Laugh, you are one who seems to remember The Good Old Days:) Problem is in todays world, when we turn our backs for a min things go to Crap in a Hurry:( When we turn back around and find out what happen when we weren't looking , its hard to believe how things once Were

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well yeah,.. Bought my parts sets way back when they were cheap, by today's norm.. I've been doing other things for some time,..but something re-sparked my interest in the 1919A4.. Started thinking about the parts set I had left, and proceeded looking for a plate.. To my surprise, the more I looked, the more I became confused as to what options still remain.. I found HALO and KMP,.. I also found some guys just around the corner from me.. Going make a decision after I talk to them.. I may just go the 100% route just to get it done.. My first was a "on again off again" kinda ordeal.. I hate to have an unfinished something laying around.. besides I have other projects to get to..

·
Legendary Donor
1,683 Posts
70% RHSP's by KMP

KMP isabout to make a run of new 70's due to demand. i just got material ordered last week.
it won't be ready for the creek, but s:eek:hould be in sometime in nov-dec.
i'll keep you posted.
thanks. tomt

1 - 13 of 13 Posts