1919 A4 Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ring Turret and Lethal Injection

After being in the machine gun and military arms business for many years, the little voices in my head kept insisting….”Build it!”
I had envisioned a joystick controllable machine gun. So, in my humble little laboratory, I went to work. It took about nine months to get it done, but the result was far better than I had dreamed possible.
It was a modular system with a joystick, heads-up video display, night vision, real-time target acquisition, and many other cool features. I named it the ‘MO-ASS’……Mother of All Shooting Systems. Sometimes one might just need a little MO-ASS.
The device could be ground mounted on a tripod with the operator in a bunker or a trench. It could be mounted in an aircraft or ground vehicle of any kind. I chose the PInzgauer four wheel drive military truck as my display base. It had an observer’s hatch where the turret ring fit perfectly.
The MO-ASS was fitted with a fine Browning .30 caliber fully automatic, belt fed machine gun, which I lovingly built myself. She operated flawlessly.
This led to some excellent adventures. I will confess, even lament that it was not a real commercial success for a couple of reasons. First, the military arms ‘big boys’ will do what it takes to keep newcomers out of the arena. Second, I wasn’t willing to cheapen it to make it more financially viable. At one point a Canadian firm made a handsome offer for the system, drawings and all rights to produce it, but when I found out where it would be deployed, I pulled the plug on that transaction.
I displayed the device in shows, exhibitions, live machine gun events, parades, private corporate venues, and other places. The result was always good. One of the favorite venues was the Knob Creek Range in Kentucky, where every six months is held the world’s largest machine gun shoot and exhibition.
We would pack up three trucks, trailers and head out there, (all Pinzgauers) twelve hours away. The MO-ASS would be proudly mounted in the lead vehicle, always inert……. that is with the weapon clear and the bolt removed. Sure, we would have an ammo can in place with a belt of dummy rounds for display, but the weapon would be totally not capable of firing with a main component, (the bolt) removed and stowed away. I would, however drive those long hours with the system enabled and functioning. Driving along, in part for training and testing, but largely to pass the boring hour after hour driving, I would use the imager to zoom in on targets in front of me, license plates, gas tanks, the back of imagined terrorist’s heads………and even sometimes pulling the deadman segment on the joystick and pull the trigger to hear the firing solenoid on the weapon ‘click’, assuring me that everything was working. It always did. But driving along, I would never manipulate the weapon more than a few degrees so as not to alarm anyone. That might amount to “brandishing”, so it just was not done.
One venue that was a favorite destination is in Enfield, North Carolina. A friend had a place in the country where he hosted a private, invitation-only machine gun shoot. We would take our convoy down there, camp, shoot, sit around a fire telling lies, other things………..you know, good ‘ole boy stuff.
One year, doing all of those things, my beautiful and talented Wife, Terriann, Michael, George, another Michael, Ricky…………gosh, I don’t remember who-all. But these were the regular co-conspirators. My good friend Howard and his little nine year old girl met us there. She was an absolute hoot and had a real knack for operating the MO-ASS. After totaling riddling a pink Barbie car placed down range for a target, she remarked, ‘We are bad to the bone!” Chloe also loved to link the ammo for other shooters. But it was that kind of an event…………a low-key and family thing. For yall city dwellers and Damn-Yankees, believe it or not…………there is such a thing and it’s rather civilized. Safe, organized, and fulfilling are words that come to mind.
So after a weekend of too much fun, we loaded up and headed back. I asked one of the fellows to clear the weapon and remove the bolt as we always do. We stopped at a gas station on the way to fuel the trucks. I was in the driver’s seat with the MO-ASS control in my hand as the truck was being fueled. There was a Sherriff’s Deputy car in front of me some distance away. I zoomed in first on his license plate, then the blue light and at the headrest on the driver’s seat. He got out of the car, smiled, waved and went inside. A few minutes later he came over, admired our equipment, and we all went on our way.
Arriving back at my compound, we unpacked and I went to dismount the weapon. Not only was the bolt still in the gun, but there was a live round in the chamber, one click away from discharging.
I shudder to think how different my life would be today had I pulled the deadman on that joystick and pulled the switch to hear that solenoid click.
There would be no explaining and lethal injection would have been the most probable result.
I learned about clearing my own weapon and never, I repeat, never point a weapon, virtual, imagined, inert or otherwise toward a non-hostile target.

Ryland

·
Registered
625 Posts
I would be sick to my stomach if I had gone through that scenario.

·
Registered
6,355 Posts
Day-um! Thanks for sharing that most alarming possibility. I, as an applicant for one of the first concealed carry permits when 'legalized' (of a God-given right) in Florida, had an Indian River County CCW course instructor 'confirm' my firearm was unloaded on the firing line by putting a round into the ground about a foot from his foot! He never asked whether I always carried locked and loaded, or not, but he found out. One should always consider a firearm locked and loaded until personally confirmed otherwise. You and I are both very lucky!!!

"Cop" accidentally shoots himself in the foot during classroom safety instruction: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C1kQNzbAhM8
"I'm the only one in this room professional enough that I know of to carry a Glock 40. I'm the only... blam... don't worry. Everybody all right?...."

Carry On!
Gary
><>

·
Registered
7,891 Posts
A little bit different scenario, but just as threatening. I had a good friend come over a few years back with his CZ52 pistol. I was totally locked up. Slide would not budge, stuck about 3/16" - 1/4" to the rear. I asked him numerous times to tell me what happened, and every time he told his story, he claimed he had cleared the chamber and then it locked up. So, he had an appointment, and said he needed to leave, but would come back for the pistol later. I nodded, he left, and I started fiddling with the pistol at my kitchen table. Well, lo and behold, I got the slide to close and lock forward, and not being concerned since the pistol was "empty" [no mag in the pistol either] I paid no attention to the hammer being cocked back. Went to release the hammer by pulling the trigger, and BAM!!!! Gun fired, bullet went through the top edge of the table, creased my left leg on the top just behind my knee, taking off about 1.5" of skin and flesh, and bullet proceeded into the wall, where it took some effort to find it and recover it.

Needless to say, i called my buddy who had just left not 5 minutes earlier. He came back immediately and apologized up and down and inside out for the next 15 minutes - just could not understand how a round was in the chamber after clearing the pistol before it locked up. I blame myself as much as him - I did not treat it as loaded - not seriously anyhow, and I should have. Lesson learned the hard way - but could have been a lot worse......I get reminded of this every time I sit down at the kitchen table and see the extra two outlet cover plates [solid] on the kitchen wall next to the functioning electrical outlet. ;)

·
PhD in Over-Engineering
12,239 Posts
Just in the past two months- between the SAR incident and another I just found out about at a local gun show- I can account for two instances where guns (with gun show-required zip ties) still managed to get in with a round in the chamber, and an AD occurred. There is just no way to be too careful, to take too many precautions, to double check too many times.

Ryland, thanks for sharing that story, and having the humility to do so.

·
Premium Member
5,467 Posts
Every firearm is loaded all the time unless you personally inspect it and it never leaves your possession. I got into the habit after an unintentional discharge of requiring anyone who wished to handle any of my firearms to verify clear after I showed them clear and announced SHOW CLEAR.

·
Registered
5,129 Posts
My Dad as a kid was screwing around with his .22 rifle in his kitchen. He was aiming it out his screen door and his neighbor was bent over in his garden so he aimed it at his ass.....then he swung it over to aim at something in his own backyard and got a huge surprise when he squeezed the trigger and it went offshooting through the screen door.
For a science fair Dad decided he was going to display a squirrel skeleton. Him and his best freind couldnt find a squirrel to shoot if their lives depended on it. So they went down to the dump to try and find one they had killed a week before. So Dad is looking and not finding and my "Uncle" his best freind is telling him to give up on it because it doesnt seem to be there. My Dad hears a POP of his freinds .22 and spins around to see my Uncles .22 still in the air and him booking for home with a cloud of dust. So Dad retreives his .22 follows him home to find him in the kitchen with his freinds olderbrother digging the .22 out of the bottom of his foot. He apparantly while bored had the rifle hanging one handed, rifle was short enough and he was paying attention that it was pointed over his right foot. Absent mindedly touched the trigger. The .22short went through the foot between the bones and stopped just under the skin on the bottom of the ball of the foot. So his older brother was able to slice it open and remove the bullet easily from the bottom. My "Uncle"s father had been a muleskinner in WW1, and the brother was fresh home from WW2. Attitude was "you wont do something that stupid again and take out the trash so your mother doesn't get upset about the blood and mess, and I better not hear you complain when she beats your arse for wrecking a good pair of shoes"

Different time, how sissified has our society become?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts