1919 A4 Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,947 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
guys one of the board members just called me to give me the heads up that Gary Cole passed in December and sadly enough it is true. I have not talked to Gary since last fall and am not sure how I missed this but I figured maybe some of you missed it as well. I always enjoyed our chats and Lucky13 and I made the trip over to Gary's to have lunch after the creek a couple times. Some of you knew Gary from the earlier creek years and he was missed after he could no longer make the trips there. He was certainly an asset to our hobby and he will be missed. God's speed Gary

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
Thanks for posting the information

Sad to hear this, he was always one of the nice people at KCR. Seems if you smiled and asked politely he would always go the extra mile to make you the best deal possible. Also had some fun and interesting stories to relate about his shopping trips.

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
Yes very sorry to hear this news, he will surely be missed by those that knew him.
He was always kind to everyone whom he met, myself included.
My condolences to his family.
CaptMax

·
Registered
209 Posts
Yep, Gary was one of the good guys. I'm sorry to hear that he passed. I bought a LOT of stuff from him over they years (ammo, .50 BMG bbls, 8mm Israeli 1919A4 bbls. (yeah,that's right 8mm . . . just like the 7.62 NATO bbls only in 8x57), mounts, etc., etc.). Gary was always easy to deal with and had the essentials for our hobby (mounts, barrels & ammo) at good prices. I remember the racks of M1 carbines (IBM, etc.), racks of Yugo Mausers, many P.38s and a bunch/variety of other firearms at good prices. Oh, for the "good ole days." (In 10 years, we'll be saying these were the good ole days.)

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
Sad to say I can remember where people are setup at KC better than I can the names.

Gary Lee Cole, 61, of Scottsville passed away Dec 9, 2015 at his residence.

The Warren County native was born February 4, 1954 to David Cole and Virginia (Prather) Cole who survives, and was preceded in death by his grandparents, Audrey and Kirk Cole, and Ethel and Frank (Red) Prather Sr. Also preceding him in death was his step-mother, Lucille Cole, and his step-sister, Teresa Butt. He was a graduate of Bowling Green High School and Western Kentucky University and was owner of Cole Distributing. He was a Baptist by faith.

http://www.jckirbyandson.com/obituary/Gary-Lee-Cole/Scottsville-KY/1570172

·
Registered
943 Posts
Thanks for posting this Russ, I had not heard he passed. I had many dealings with him on AK47 parts back about 10 years ago and later on for 1919 parts. Definitely one of the good guys, he will be truly missed.

Keith

·
Premium Member
6,947 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Keith I was shocked when I heard and can't believe nobody seems to have known and he passed in December? Gary was a true gentleman and the creek has not been the same without him. I fear the creek is going to change much over the next 5 years and it will never be like the good old days that so many of us enjoyed because of the older guys in the hobby.

·
Registered
2,996 Posts
Sorry to hear this .. I did a little business with him over the years on the odd occasion I had the extra cash....
was never disappointed with the quality of the parts....

Back in 2012 wasn't he shot by a home invader? could this be from health issues created by being shot?

·
Premium Member
6,947 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Sorry to hear this .. I did a little business with him over the years on the odd occasion I had the extra cash....
was never disappointed with the quality of the parts....

Back in 2012 wasn't he shot by a home invader? could this be from health issues created by being shot?
He was shot Kabar by his own Nephew (long interesting story) masked of course but that is not what got him. Gary had already been in a long battle with cancer and things were looking good until the shooting and he survived that but the cancer came back unfortunately. He certainly was a fighter and did not go out easy God bless him!

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Remember him

This gentleman passed, leaving a legacy with no intent of doing so. Fair trade, interesting inventory, good personal customer service.....great smile and a firm handshake that was his bond.

Gary always dealt at the 110% level, just so he could be comfortable that he was good enough.

We lost the man in flesh. Carry his torch in your conduct and you will be a better person.

Ryland

·
Registered
619 Posts
Small Arms Review had this article in it's July/August edition.......

In Memoriam: Gary Cole, 1954-2015

By Dan Shea

"9 December 2015, Scottsville, KY - Gary Lee Cole, president and founder of Cole Distributing, died after a long fight with Cancer. He was 61 years old. He is survived by his wife Lenita, his stepchildren, grandchildren and great-grandchildren.

Gary was a Vietnam Veteran, having been a helicopter pilot in that war. He had a vast knowledge of history, including military history and firearms use and development. It was this knowledge and the continuing thirst for more knowledge that led him to be a pillar of the firearms surplus/import community.

Gary founded his firearms import/sales business in the early 1980s in his hometown of Scottsville, Kentucky.

Gary’s close friend Israeli arms dealer Zev Kaptowski, had this to say during the FAIR Trade Group meeting at SHOT Show 2016: “I knew Gary for over 20 years and considered him a most valued customer. But he was much more than that, he was a personal and dear friend. He was a gentleman in the true meaning of the word – “a gentle man” – softspoken, but nevertheless always ready to voice a forceful opinion on those subjects that mattered to him. He had an impeccable reputation in our business. He was a man who you could rely on to back up his word with action. Gary was truly a special individual – I know that he will be very much missed by all that knew him.”

Cole Distributing has been at the Knob Creek Machine Gun Shoot since the 1980s, and when the new pole barn was built, occupied a prominent space on the right side of the back road exhibits. As a visitor walks in, Gary was always there to be one of the first of the longtime vendors to be seen.

SAR believes Gary’s influence in the Class Three and import community was so strong that many people will remember him and appreciate knowing that he has passed.

Cole Distributing will be carrying on under the reins of its new CEO, Roger Wick."

https://www.smallarmsreview.com/display.article.cfm?idarticles=3360

AZB

1 - 12 of 12 Posts