1919 A4 Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a suggestion regarding the removal of rivets from the Bottom Plate. It should work for other rivets too.
Like a dummy I installed the bottom plate bass ackwards on the side plate and installed the rivets (did a nice job too).Then I noticed my error.
I ground the head of one rivet down and proceded to try to pound it out. I was successfull but only after much pounding. I thought about this and then came up with a much easier solution.
I ground down the heads of the rest of the rivets.I then used a center punch and put a spot as close to the center of each rivet as I was able.
I placed a #4 Center Drill (this is sometimes called a combination drill countersink) in my cordless drill and started drilling at the center punch spots untill the center drill almost touches the countersink in the plate.
Then using a 1/8 knock out punch and a hammer the rivet almost taps out.
Mr Frasier

·
Registered
23 Posts
I hate when that happens.
Good move on using a center drill. I normally use a #3 when removing rivets, the smaller size helps prevent removing material from the plates. I've screwed enough rivets up that I'm actually pretty good drilling them out now.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts