1919 A4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am about to start my build , and would really like to see a video on measuring ,cutting and setting rivets . Anyone have some footage ?? Thanks.
doc

·
Registered
1,809 Posts
Depending on where you got your rivets from you shouldn't have to cut any of them. I have always used the rivet sets sold by MSG here on the forum. The only rivets that need any changes to them are the two rivets for the rear of the top plate. You need to grind the side of the head flat on one side.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I bought a set from Jeff at Iron Creations and a set from Burnt Capital ( just in case I screw up )

·
Registered
1,809 Posts
Make sure you have your front cart stop and the rear cart stop rivetted in place before you starting rivetting the rest together. Just take your time and enjoy the process. :D

·
Registered
6,685 Posts
While there's 10K ways to do it here is how I do it.

No rivet set from one maker to the next is the same length. This difference is exaggerated by the countersinking of the plates. Uniform rivet lengths are the ONLY way to go. When you take what is left of the RSP out of the bottom plate SAVE IT! You'll see why next.

First, counter sink your rivet holes about a 64th past the rivet head being flush.

Second, install all the bottom plate rivets and place the bucking bar in, tighten and clamp it down.

Third, take that piece of scrap right side plate and place it over the unformed rivet protruding from the bottom plate.

Fourth, using a sanding disk on a die grinder sand all the rivets down flush with the plate.

Fifth, using a 6 to 8 oz. ball pien hammer (round end) tap the rivets in a circular motion until your forearm is cramping. Drink some of your favorite beverage, finish that process. This is very critical that you round the rough rivet head with the BP hammer being careful to not bounce the hammer off the rivet and dinging anything else. If it happens **** happens and it happens to me so it will happen to you.

Sixth, using an air hammer with a rivet setting tool hammer out the manual hammer marks. Don't go ape **** here of the rivets will look like they came from the inards of said ape.

It isn't rocket science although this may make it sound like it. Take your time, have fun and build a gun. While I am no expert I have just found out all the shitty ways to rivet one and this bar far makes people drool. I once had a dude at a gun show stare at a riveting job for a half hour. The results are pretty spectacular..

Robert

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Same process I use also ballpeen hammer first but I don't use a air hammer anymore i use a Hydro press.. instead.. here is a picx of my last build rivets

·
Registered
6,355 Posts
MSG has the rivet sets and any tools you'll need. You don't need an air hammer or hydro tool to do it my hand, but it makes it easier and faster -- to foul up. If you aren't careful you'll get moon, or half-moon, dings around the rivets on the side plate -- which, of course, can be finished out but it's possible to go slow and be careful. If you do the rivets by hand, have someone else hold the riveting tool perpendicular with a pair of Visegrips and you can help avoid the tool marks. Many have done the riveting by hand and it only takes a little expertise to do it well than if using a press or whatever. Just use some caution and go slowly.

Carry On!
Gary
><>

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Very nice rivet heads . I do have a press. Would it be better to press the rivets than to beat on them ??
Doc

·
Premium Member
2,557 Posts
Some people like presses, some like air hammers, and others just use a B.F. hammer. It's a matter of personal preference. I do recommend using some kind of concave rivet setting tool as one will allow you to produce good results with minimal practice.

If you're just building one, start with a hand held rivet tool and a hammer. If you want to build more, then you can look into putting the tool in an air hammer, or using a press. Most of the volume builders I supply use an air hammer. It can do a good job, and is much faster than a press.

Don't use a press on the large Trunion rivets. That's a good way to crush a Trunion. MSG

·
Registered
1,809 Posts
I use an air hammer that has an adjustment knob on it to control the amount of impact. It allows me to tune how hard it hits so that I have more control over it.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
I used a air hammer on my first build and got some dings on the side plate when I missed the rivet so I stopped using it and went to the ballpeen hammer and the hydraulic press.. more control for me.. B2B

·
Premium Member
2,557 Posts
I'm not a fan of heating rivets used in the production of firearms. The cold work performed during the peening process hardens the rivet. If the rivet is heated this will not happen.

Heated rivets aren't used much anymore in steel construction. The properties of the set rivets were not uniform due to all the inherent variables in the process. They have been replaced by hardened bolts with known properties. MSG

·
Registered
6,355 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Rivets?

I'm not a fan of heating rivets used in the production of firearms. The cold work performed during the peening process hardens the rivet. If the rivet is heated this will not happen.

Heated rivets aren't used much anymore in steel construction. The properties of the set rivets were not uniform due to all the inherent variables in the process. They have been replaced by hardened bolts with known properties. MSG
Hello MSG!

Rumor has it that you’re the man to talk to for rivets sets. Are you still selling these? If you are could you please send me details?

Thanks!
-Sam

·
Registered
12 Posts

·
Registered
3,057 Posts
Although shown but not specifically mentioned in previous posts the fifth rivet from the back of the bottom plate on both sides is a flush rivet. Failure to do this and to make a round head on that particular rivet will cause very bad things to happen. Well not really. As a matter of fact I forgot to do it on both of my builds. I guess it is one way to tell it is not an actual M1919A4 but a home made job. In the original tutorial I was using it was not mentioned and i was too stupid to look at the pictures of the real deal. It is not something that can't be fixed but then grinding it off later means reparkerizing that part of the gun which is the only thing keeping me from doing it.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts