1919 A4 Forums banner

21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Rivets

Although shown but not specifically mentioned in previous posts the fifth rivet from the back of the bottom plate on both sides is a flush rivet. Failure to do this and to make a round head on that particular rivet will cause very bad things to happen. Well not really. As a matter of fact I forgot to do it on both of my builds. I guess it is one way to tell it is not an actual M1919A4 but a home made job. In the original tutorial I was using it was not mentioned and i was too stupid to look at the pictures of the real deal. It is not something that can't be fixed but then grinding it off later means reparkerizing that part of the gun which is the only thing keeping me from doing it.
I really appreciate the info my friend!

-Sam

·
Registered
27 Posts
I too am a novice, however I started riveting mine first one this weekend....my third attempt.

Here is my adventure and lessons I have learned

I tried to use the pneumatic attachment and a hammer....the rivet bent over even though I was trying to be vertical.

I then went to the press.....it bent over as well.

Attempt 3.... I used a ball peen hammer, hammered in a circle around the rivet to form a dome. I continued this for a bit, then used the pneumatic press tool MSG sells and continued in a circle with a hammer. When it looked like it was good I went straight down and added some force. I was able to learn where to hit the tool to get the effect.

After I finished I saw that my bucking bad had shifted, and all of my rivets inside had a nice crease in them and protruded. Off to the grinder

Clamped the bucking bar in, and did the same method again. They aren’t professional, but they are pretty good, I did them, and it’s my build.

The big trunnion rivets, I used the bucking bar as a backer and began hammering in a circle. Probably could have used a bigger ball peen hammer, but continued hammering away forcing the rivets down.

The two rear top plate rivets. I tried the AK bolt cutters. Didn’t get results I liked. I tried sticking the bucking bar in, didn’t work.

So I ordered a bucking bar (and more rivets from MSG) specially made for these rivets from toolmanm203. Waiting on it to arrive now, but I have confidence I’ll be able to knock these out without too much problem.

Once you get a hang of it, it’s not as intimidating as it seems.

If you start as much as you can on the lower rivets , you basically have a little practice line to go down, just grind out the rivets and go back to it.

Hope this helps some.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
27 Posts
if you have a press, Toolman on the forum here used to sell riveting jigs. they are awesome! no heating of the rivets.
MSG on here has the rivets.

just my $0.02

21 - 24 of 24 Posts