1919 A4 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
PhD in Over-Engineering
12,161 Posts
3/16. Black Bear bottom plate rivets will work if you do it carefully. They are just long enough to hammer flat. I put them in through the inside of the side plate and hammer them flat on the bracket, then grind flush.

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
Sideplate Rivets

I appreciate you guys asking and answering this question! I thought they were 3/16" rivets, but being 2,500 miles from my guns, I could not measure the size to confirm. Since I now know the size, I don't have to worry about them since I have plenty of BlackBear's 3/16" rivets.

I want to get the Rear Sight Bracket removed next time I get home in early September. Once I install them, grind them smooth, you should nnever see where the holes were ever located!

·
PhD in Over-Engineering
12,161 Posts
Abwehr- I have a coupld of side plates on which I have to do the same thing. I am going to try and undo the Izzy mods at the same time.

Mike- one thing on hammering those bottom plate rivets on the sight bracket. Since they are barely long enough, proper technique is important. I suggest you hammer the edges of the rivet to spread it out before pounding straight down. For example, I have found with the 3.16 front trunnion rivet, in the Black Bear kits, that if I hammer it straight down it will not fill the chamfer completely. If I do it as I describe above, it fills in nicely and still expands inside to fill the hole as it should. Be sure it is bucked properly from inside so that is can't back out.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts