1919 A4 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ordered the kit from Royal Tiger Imports Aug 1st and it arrived Aug 9th. I had asked several questions over the last few months and never received a reply until I actually put something on credit card.

Kit was described as missing the sight. Through emails I confirmed it was the leaf. When it arrive it was missing the leaf,springs and leaf bracket. Came with a pintle which was a nice surprise. I requested a muzzle gland instead of the flash hider. I already had a nice flash hider from Numrich years ago.

A few things I noted.
The muzzle gland that came with the gun was deeper than all I have seen. Kind of a nice design. Seems like it might work better and need less packing or orings. It has the small indentation for the WW1 flash hider to clip on

The water jacket is pristine but it looks like they dropped the requirements for quality because you can see the Cuts as it was going through the lathe. You can feel some dents with your hand but cannot really see any. The rough nature is growing on me.

Remington Breech lock and the bolt came right out and wasn't stacked.

A mixture of parts. (I will ad to this later I'm at work and going from memory)
RIA extractor
SG Bolt
Ordnance marked left sideplate
D3592-2 RIA Bottom plate
One slot machined top plate.
Steel front and steel rear trunnion
Rubber not cork jacket plug.

I'm going to either try to remove rust with vinegar or try electrolysis. I want to see how it comes out because I might build it as is. It's not a C&R but could look like one. The finish looks black with a green tint.

In my opinion with the dirt/dust inside and the spring still cocked. This is an as found gun. So whatever internals were in it came from Ethiopia that way. Doent mean it's factory but because any thing could have been happened over the years. I specifically asked for the 1917A1 type parts so I didn't receive the A6 parts like some.

Here are some pics. I will update what I find. I mentioned before I broke my arm so I'm hesitant to remove the steam tube and tear it down further. Until I get some strength back.






Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
986 Posts
Nice score! I was looking hard at those, but figured I didn't need another one... I've never seen a jacket like that with the rough tooling marks. Pretty unique.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
8,353 Posts
Thanks for posting the3 pictures Craig it looks like you did ok. I have tried contacting them numerous times with no response to either calls or emails.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
986 Posts
Is that a Remington marked breech lock?? 😢 My Remmy 1917A1 needs that! Good score!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,375 Posts
I like the rubber plug. I am tired of breaking the cork ones on mine.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
25 Posts
Beautiful score. It takes awhile to get ahold of them through phone or e-mail but they have a live chat feature during business hours with Stephanie now that works great. My 1919a4 is not bad but not nearly that nice. I have a bit of pitting on my sight mount and bottom plate on one side like it sat on wet rags for awhile no where else though.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Is that a Remington marked breech lock?? 😢 My Remmy 1917A1 needs that! Good score!
Rick at BMG Parts had a few. They are not $10 but were reasonable. I ordered them with a bunch of other stuff so the shipping didn't make much of a difference
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I like the rubber plug. I am tired of breaking the cork ones on mine.
I've never seen one. That's not saying much I haven't been a lifetime visitor to the Creek so maybe they were around

I've already looked up how to mold with rubber. Was curious if it could be done. Put it on the list of things to try.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
103 Posts
Nice Craig. I posted mine under the other thread on RTI 1917a1s.
yours was made in late 44 early 45 during RIAs second run of 1917a1s after they were cancelled in 43 i believe. The battle of the bulge happened and they were short on them and ordered more from RIA.
These are in the 600000 range of serial nimbers and have steel sendplates, trunnions are steel, and the stoppers are...... rubber!
The lathe marks are supposed to be there too.
Scarce late war 1917a1 and was the type i was hoping to get in MY RTI order! I got RIA brass instead. Oh well🙄.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I think it's a crapshoot with them. When I ordered it there were three avaliable. I kind of expected to get the worse ones left. I know the brass ones are more desirable I asked for a nice jacket and never mentioned brass. I don't really know how they choose what to send. I like the early stuff but I'm pretty happy with what I got. Think its kind of unique.

I'm reading all the other posts but started this one to get pictures up front and not lost in a thread
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
159 Posts
I would NOT try to remove the rust with vinegar or even electrolysis.

Vinegar would even be the worst idea.


Just use some 0000 steel wool with oil, or better yet 0000 bronze wool with oil.

My vote would be to build as-is after using my above method.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I would NOT try to remove the rust with vinegar or even electrolysis.

Vinegar would even be the worst idea.


Just use some 0000 steel wool with oil, or better yet 0000 bronze wool with oil.

My vote would be to build as-is after using my above method.
Thanks. Advice taken. I've never used vinegar just a random video on YouTube came up and it seemed like an idea. I've used electrolysis but doesn't work that well. Some parts on the gun I will probably just replace with better parts I have so I can experiment on the top latch and backplate. They are pitted.
 
1 - 20 of 53 Posts
Top