1919 A4 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
PhD in Over-Engineering
12,240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thought y'all might want to see this. At KCR last October, I was fortunate to find an SOT who was giving up his license, so he was selling some toys to SOTs with no love letter required. Missed a couple of items that were spoken for already, but here is one of the two pieces I did get. Just came in last week. It was mixed parts, set up in A4 config, and I am going to swap in a few things and probably restore it to A6 spec. The jacket was not a match to the trunnion, wrong back plate, a Westie bolt with Izzy charging handle, Izzy top cover assembly, etc. Had the right cartridge stops messed with, as can be seen. Otherwise, the receiver itself was factory original with perhaps one minor rebuild marking. I'm certain every rivet is SG factory and the finish is original too. Most WWII A6s left Saginaw with A4 marking overstamped with the 6, as on this one. Serial range fits that pattern, from what I can tell. Not a bad score for a Postie price.

[URL="http://s232.photobucket.com/user/DualFeed/media/1919A6/SG%20Engraving%203_zpsx6kqhvpz.jpg.html"]

·
Registered
4,965 Posts
Nice one Lucky#13.
So when did you buy this........before during, or after distracting me? :tongue:
:rofl::rofl::rofl:
CaptMax

·
Registered
2,629 Posts
Very nice! Too bad it's a Postie.

·
PhD in Over-Engineering
12,240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Nice one Lucky#13.
So when did you buy this........before during, or after distracting me? :tongue:
:rofl::rofl::rofl:
CaptMax
And it was just a few tables down from you, CaptMax. :evil: This was the first KCR after I went SOT, so the timing was pretty good. Missed an uncut Bren MkII he had. It was already spoken for. Got the H&R product from him too, also uncut. Posted pics of that on the M14 Iron and Wood thread.

Very nice! Too bad it's a Postie.
True to a point, Dan. It won't appreciate in value, but I got a real SG gun at little more than the price of a parts kit. Not much for me to complain about, as I am planning on dying before I give up my 07/SOT. Not sure I'll do it even then! :D

·
Premium Member
7,019 Posts
Very nice I can't wait for my next trip out there so I can see it in person and maybe this trip we can even sneek in a range trip. I hear that some people actually shoot the stuff they have but have not been able to prove that theory :tongue:

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
WOW Nice now I see why they call you lucky.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I've just bought this one to replace the SACO I sold to fund part of my wedding( Should have kept it) and the last 2 are of one I saw for sale a while back and I thought I'd post it in case anyone wanted the serial number for reference.

Text Font Number Technology Metal Gun Firearm Rifle Shooting sport Air gun

Font

·
Registered
7,285 Posts
Armasteel...?

Nice to see some original pieces. Believe that the plum colored parts are the 'armasteel' ones made during WW2. Is this correct...?

·
PhD in Over-Engineering
12,240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Nice to see some original pieces. Believe that the plum colored parts are the 'armasteel' ones made during WW2. Is this correct...?
Len, you are right. Some of those old Saginaw guns show the ArmaSteel parts turning that plum color. But it is not consistent, as my piece has those same castings but not that shade. No idea why they vary, but I've seen a number of SG kits and have a number of loose parts I've kept with the plum coloring.

Brit Plumber, thanks for posting those pics. I am still trying to figure out exactly when Saginaw stopped using an A4 roller marking with the 6 overstamped by hand. Your pic of an 800k serial range where there does not appear to be a 4 under the 6 matches another one I've seen. Both look like the 6 is just slightly out of place, like it's still a hand stamp, the difference being the 4 was never there from the roller engraving tooling. Interesting study that makes. My example, like most I've seen or heard of (according to Dolf Goldsmith too) are overstamps, 6 on top of the 4. I am beginning to think they removed the 4 from the roller tool and still hand stamped the 6.

·
PhD in Over-Engineering
12,240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
It is hard to tell for sure but the bottom plate marking looks like a S.G. marking.
Yes, this is an S.G. marking, on a D35392-10 bottom plate. That puts it squarely in the correct time frame for a purpose-built A6, which I have decided to believe it is! :D

While I have since swapped in all S.G. parts, and things like the top cover, latch and back plate all are parts that match perfectly in color, I am out of luck when it comes to matching the finish on A6 front end parts. I have one correct flaming bomb marked A6 shroud, but it is in need of a new finish and I doubt I can ever match it correctly. The bearing, bipod etc all will be difficult to match as well. I need to find out what Sam's old green color formula was... :help:

·
Registered
739 Posts
I've got a USGI a6 bipod of some flavor. I believe it's got the original finish. I'll shoot some pics, and if you're interested in it, I'd do a straight swap for postage. Not sure what era/maker. Came out of Greece.

·
PhD in Over-Engineering
12,240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I would be interested in seeing what you have. The gun has that greenish tint, a little brownish in some areas. All my A6 bipods etc are NOS, and they are painted black. Most are WWII production, but I have some with post war drawing numbers on the heads. Legs are all post war, I should note.

·
Premium Member
5,467 Posts
This is the first Saco-Lowell serial number I have seen and it is higher than one of the last Purpose built 1919A6's out of RIA at 967xxx which is in Europe in a fully functional state in a private collection. The Saco serial number should be higher as they had production contracts after 6/1957 when .30 Browning ground gun/parts production and engineering support was transferred from RIA to SA and the Ordnance Department farmed out production to Saco. The Saginaw A6 overstamp was an RIA conversion done after Jan 5, 1947 as it has the "EB" (Elmer Bjerke) stamp.

·
PhD in Over-Engineering
12,240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Just in case your needing a S.G. Breach Block I have one and looking for a SG.
I have both markings, but am certainly willing to trade an SG to help you out. Send me a pic of what you have, as there is some variety of how they marked these at Saginaw... or Grand Rapids.

This is the first Saco-Lowell serial number I have seen and it is higher than one of the last Purpose built 1919A6's out of RIA at 967xxx which is in Europe in a fully functional state in a private collection. The Saco serial number should be higher as they had production contracts after 6/1957 when .30 Browning ground gun/parts production and engineering support was transferred from RIA to SA and the Ordnance Department farmed out production to Saco.
I wonder what the serial number blocks were at RIA in the Korean War period, versus in the 55-57 period. The second may or may not be a continuation, but IIRC, RIA stopped producing well short of that first order due to the ending of hostilities in Korea. They may have just continued on that same series during next period. And judging by previous protocols, Saco-Lowell may have been given a starting point higher than where RIA was assigned, just to assure there was no conflict in the serials. I think that's the only SAK example we have seen, and we have maybe a couple of RIA examples, so it's slim evidence to work with.

·
Premium Member
5,467 Posts
I have both markings, but am certainly willing to trade an SG to help you out. Send me a pic of what you have, as there is some variety of how they marked these at Saginaw... or Grand Rapids.

I wonder what the serial number blocks were at RIA in the Korean War period, versus in the 55-57 period. The second may or may not be a continuation, but IIRC, RIA stopped producing well short of that first order due to the ending of hostilities in Korea. They may have just continued on that same series during next period. And judging by previous protocols, Saco-Lowell may have been given a starting point higher than where RIA was assigned, just to assure there was no conflict in the serials. I think that's the only SAK example we have seen, and we have maybe a couple of RIA examples, so it's slim evidence to work with.
I had to look it up but the last 3 purpose built A6's rolled off the line between 1 July and 31 December 1955. according to the manufacturing history which dosent have any serial numbers

1 - 20 of 27 Posts