1919 A4 Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sarco is selling a 1919 "survival pack":

http://www.e-sarcoinc.com/1919a430calsurvivalpack.aspx

Decent set of spares for parts that regularly wear out, or disposal bag for stuff they can't get rid of elsewhere that no one needs? Help this noob 1919 owner decide.

What they say is included:

Trigger spring
Firing pin
Breech lock
Accelerator pin
Sear
Cover extractor spring
Breech lock pin
Belt feed pawl spring
Front sight blade
Buffer plate
Belt feed slide
Buffer lock screw
.30 Links (200 in a pack)
Barrel extension
Top cover latch assy.
Barrel lock spring
Starter Tab
Trigger
Left holding pawl pin & spring

·
Registered
4,459 Posts
I bought one before. All parts are in excellent to new condition and a good price on the package compared to individual prices. It's a better price if you have a full auto as opposed to a semi.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. I'll have a semi-auto when it arrives - still worth getting? I'm thinking I should have a spare firing pin on hand at a minimum...

·
Registered
103 Posts
I bought one years ago when I first got my FA. The parts were in nice shape except for an accelerator that had an ear broken off. They replaced it when I called but I got a bit of an attitude because they claimed it was a new piece. I offered to send them the part but they finally relented and sent me a new in the wrapper one. The ammo can that it came in looked like it had thrown from a moving vehicle. To this date I've never needed in of the parts that came in the kit.

·
Premium Member
6,928 Posts
I would ask for pictures as they are down to the bottom of the barrel and partsing kits together. Cal MG dave to talk details as he will be straight up with you on condition and he is a board member here. Good luck

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
spare parts

I'm guessing your buying or bought a gun built in .308 ?
The parts I have broken over the years running my S/A 1919's aren't found in that list of parts.

Lets look at the list of parts.
The links they are most likely going to send you will be 30-06 links.
They will work for .308 but are kind of finicky on how far the .308 rounds are seated into them.
You will find that the izzy links will run better in your gun.

The trigger and sear are of no use to you in a S/A gun.
You should invest in another S/A sear for your range box.
And another extractor.
I have yet to break a firing pin. knock on wood however I do carry a spare in my range box.
You may also want to invest in the spring tool for messing with the spring of death inside the bolt.

You may find out the hard way about head spacing and blow your top cover, so make sure you learn how to head space your new gun when it arrives before you attempt to even load it and fire one round out of it.
If you do have an blow out you may need a new top cover . (not on list)

Other then that you will find that they are hungry and like to eat allot when there out at the range so start buying the food of your choice.
They eat just about every .308 ammo out there.

You may also decide you want to convert it to eat 8mm, 762.39, or 7.62x54r, or back to it's original 30-06 caliber.
If it was me I'd pass on the survival parts kit
GW

·
Premium Member
742 Posts
Looks like the same package they included as an extra with the first parts sets I bought from Sarco. IIRC parts sets were $250 or 5 for $1k! Remember being pissed when I didn't get the freebies but then surprised a year or so later when they showed up out of the blue. Thought I made a killing when I sold some of the parts sets years later for $450!

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm guessing your buying or bought a gun built in .308 ?
The parts I have broken over the years running my S/A 1919's aren't found in that list of parts.

If it was me I'd pass on the survival parts kit
GW
Yes, I bought an Israeli rebuilt .308, it should arrive next week.

Thank you very much for the detailed breakdown, that was a very helpful answer. I knew it looked too good!

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
The question of spare parts comes up a lot. I am sort of a spare parts fanatic but I have to admit I have never broken a single part of any gun (except a part for a Remington M1100 shotgun). Spare M1 Rifle parts came in handy when matching parts makers to a CMP M1 and spare 03A3 Springfield parts helped to build a couple guns from the receiver up. Back a decade or so SARCO had some parts deals where you could buy ten of certain parts for about the normal cost of two or three of the same part. These were: firing pin, breech lock, feed lever, bolt handle, accelerator, and I believe the Cam Breech locking to name a few. I bit on several of these and as of yet have never needed any for replacement although some have contributed to another build. Usually the parts that come up for sale are either ones they have a lot of or ones that there is little call for (like a full auto trigger or sear) Most of the parts you will need are the small springs and pins like the ones that drop on the floor and disappear for three years. I have found that Ohio Ordnance has had about the best prices. A few years ago they had a sale on new 7.62mm bolts for $25.00. But now those are about $100.00. Some folks like to have one of every part. This is especially true if you are lucky enough to have one of the neat wooden boxes that they were originally carried in.

·
Registered
5,129 Posts
Have a spare accellerator. May not need but.....

1 - 14 of 14 Posts