1919 A4 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just wondering what prices/lb people were getting when scraping all their un-loved:) beridian brass.

·
Registered
2,916 Posts
I use most of mine for brass casting, they melt a lot faster than old bathroom fictures and gears. But the last time I sold any it was something like .65 a pound.

·
Registered
259 Posts
.65 cents a pound here in southern Nevada. Hear ads saying copper/brass are at an all time high. This is one of the reasons cited for the increase in ammo prices - due to raw material prices. There was a web site that had daily metals prices -including scrap metals.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
I've always wanted to take enough brass and add whatever it takes to make the right alloy of Naval Bronze....and have someone like you pour me a full scale #12lb Mountain Howitzer Barrel. They weight about #220lbs. I causually mentioned it to a foundry worker and he wrinkled up his face and said its too hard due to gasses and contanimants to get the alloy to a known mixure.
I can still dream can't I........
adios

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wow I thought the prices would be higher than that. The one place around here that lists their prices has it around $1.00/lb

·
Registered
74 Posts
don't brass prices, but around here, copper is up to around $2.50 a pound.

·
Registered
3,213 Posts
TiredIron said:
I've always wanted to take enough brass and add whatever it takes to make the right alloy of Naval Bronze....and have someone like you pour me a full scale #12lb Mountain Howitzer Barrel. They weight about #220lbs. I causually mentioned it to a foundry worker and he wrinkled up his face and said its too hard due to gasses and contanimants to get the alloy to a known mixure.
I can still dream can't I........
adios

You need to pour it solid in a verticle position, then bore out the center, all the impurities will be there, then sleeve it. Do the sleave right and then take pics of the breachplug so if you ever compete or sell it you got something to show for whatever that is worth. Hotch

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
naval brass

try old ships propelers try govliquidation.com they sell old props from time to time.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Got $1.30 a pound for cartridge brass two months ago. Cashed in 620 pounds of it....a full 55gal drum...right to the top.

Thought about casting a cannon myself Tirediron, but the money went to a friends kid going to college for a laptop computer.

·
Registered
809 Posts
I sold 150 lbs. of brass shell casings one month ago for $1.00/lb. Turned around and bought more 8mm. It is like getting ammo for free.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I have a hard time even lettting the fired Turk brass go. Scrap price was 1.00/lb a few months ago in Warren, Ohio. Now it's down to .85/lb.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts