1919 A4 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
After almost 8 years, and 1000’s of hours I’ve finally attached the project gun to the Jeep.
I started on this in April of 2014. I have machined or custom fabricated from scratch nearly every part of this gun.
The wheels and spindles were from an M38 Jeep.
The elevation mechanism is two heavily modified old screw type bottle jacks.
The traverse mechanism is a heavily modified 90 degree worm gear box from a sub station.
Other than standard nuts, bolts, and springs, every piece has spent hours in planning, lathing, milling, etc.

Everything works like it should including recoil,rapid traverse, elevation, and traverse. Even the coarse and fine sight adjustments.

Heck I even made a rudimentary rifling machine and rifled it. It’s rough, but it has rifling.

Many times I’ve looked at this and wondered “what was I thinking!?” However now it is a source of mechanical pride for me.
It’s still not complete, but I brought it out today for the first time in order to pull it in the local Christmas Parade.
Tire Cannon Wheel Automotive tire Tread

Automotive tire Wheel Asphalt Tire Machine

Wheel Tire Self-propelled artillery Cannon Automotive tire

Automotive tire Wheel Motor vehicle Tire Cannon

Tire Cannon Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle

Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Tread

·
Registered
541 Posts
That is something to be immensely proud of. This is America in one story...the liberty, the drive, the ingenuity, the perseverance....absolutely inspiring!!

·
Registered
29 Posts
My god man, labor of love does not do it justice, absolutely gorgeous. Be prideful ive not seen a more beautiful and attention to detail "replica" than that. Hell its better than a demill, as you know everything about it.
Thanks for sharing.
B..E AUTIFUL!

·
Registered
622 Posts
It is absolutely awesome! Most of us know how much work you have into that and what kind of drive it takes to get it this far! Definitely something to be proud of!

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That is something to be immensely proud of. This is America in one story...the liberty, the drive, the ingenuity, the perseverance....absolutely inspiring!!
Funny thing is, as I was pulling it home from the shop behind my modern Chevrolet truck. I came to a 4 way stop intersection with several cars.
To my immediate right was a Sheriff’s Deputy. I crossed right in front of them. My daughter (12 years old) was sure they were going to pull us. I had the NFA paperwork with me in case someone did pull us over, so I kind of thought it would be cool “if” we did get pulled.
Nope. They never batted an eye. They crossed right behind me. There was no way they didn’t see it. I told Katie that’s what makes this country great.
You can pull an anti-tank gun down the road and through town and the authorities don’t care!
I love this country, and am glad I live in a state that allows such toys.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Ho. Lee. CRAP!

that is too cool. I am super impressed and amazed. Great job!

I'm still kicking around the idea of making my own 60mm mortar tripod with some sections of worm gear and such. But this project blows me away.

·
Registered
360 Posts
That is very cool. I was just looking at the M3A1 PDF drawing set I have for extractor details and sure hope you are working from a better copy than that!

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Incredible! Thanks for sharing this with us. How's it shoot? Regards, JH
I still have to finish milling the “T” slot and then make the breech block. The actual firing components are the last on the really long list of things. When I started this, I said that as was going to work from the floor up, and not rush it.
I have so far managed to do just that. Especially the “Not rush it” part.
I would get frustrated trying to figure out how to machine a part, and get fed up with the limited resources that I have.
I would put it back in a corner and stack stuff on it and find something else to work on.
Every few weeks or month, I would pick another part out of the CD of microfilm blueprints and make it. That part would then get fit to the last piece and so on.
I am struggling right now with being able to machine the inside of that T-slot efficiently. I am sure the originals were Broach cut. I do not have the luxury.
I’ll get the firing components on it before too long maybe.

·
Registered
583 Posts
I still have to finish milling the “T” slot and then make the breech block. The actual firing components are the last on the really long list of things. When I started this, I said that as was going to work from the floor up, and not rush it.
I have so far managed to do just that. Especially the “Not rush it” part.
I would get frustrated trying to figure out how to machine a part, and get fed up with the limited resources that I have.
I would put it back in a corner and stack stuff on it and find something else to work on.
Every few weeks or month, I would pick another part out of the CD of microfilm blueprints and make it. That part would then get fit to the last piece and so on.
I am struggling right now with being able to machine the inside of that T-slot efficiently. I am sure the originals were Broach cut. I do not have the luxury.
I’ll get the firing components on it before too long maybe.
This sounds like my M60 semi project! I've been playing with it for about 8 years... getting close, but not there yet. 37mm trumps 7.62mm all day long!:rolleyes:(y) Good work brother!!

·
Premium Member
7,356 Posts
Great job Andy keep up the good work. I can't think of anyone who has taken on a task like this to this level of detail. I know how long you have spent on it but now you get to enjoy the fruits of your labor and you should be proud of it. Maybe you could find a local machine shop to help you out with the broach cut at a reasonable price? I would bet they would be willing to help just based on what it is. How many guys pull up with a cannon to a machine shop lol.

Reactions: nc_reb
1 - 20 of 25 Posts